Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator in exile

Your best classic martini recipe...

Post it here, and be sure to include specific brand information. I am looking to expand my martini repertoire and, if I find one I like here, I'll gladly take credit for it as my own

Guru

Re: Your best classic martini recipe...

Take a great dry Vermouth and coat the ice cubes in a glass or tumbler. Pour excess away. Fill tumbler with Bombay Saphire Gin. Strain into martini glass or leave on the rocks. Add a dash of olive juice and three large olives. Enjoy.
    Joe

Advanced Taster

Great timing, Jeff: I just had my first martini last evening and it was quite enjoyable. (I should say it was actually a vodka martini.) We had a guest who likes them, so I bought glasses, a shaker, Ciroc vodka, VYA extra dry vermouth and unstuffed olives. I used Poland Spring water for the ice cubes I filled the shaker with, added the vodka and vermouth in about a 4 to 1 ratio and gave it about 10 seconds of real hard shaking. Then strained the martinis into glasses and added the toothpicked olives. Very good and surprisingly refreshing, but I will be trying the Bombay sapphire recipe before too long! Looking forward to seeing other recipes/techniques. Cheers, Ed

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I like Beefeater Gin. It has a big flavor, not as soft as some but firm, steely and full of juniper and orange peel. Add a little white vermouth (Noilly Prat is good). A good Martini needs a certain amount of vermouth, more than a coating on the cubes but less than many people add, say a half-ounce to three ounces of Beefeater. Add two small stuffed olives. Swirl over cubed ice in a rocks glass and pour neat into a stemmed cocktail glass. The statement from a 1970's book I once quoted in connection with good straight vodka, "more like an injection than a drink", is apposite, except this injection has lots of taste.

Gary

P.S. Orange bitters were an addition to the Martini originally and since Liquor Barn (not far from Jeff's location) sells the Collins type, I'd advise to add a little, but just a drop or two.

Guru

Let's see, its actually quite simple:

Two oz. good British gin (Beefeater's or Bombay will do just fine)

One tablespoon dry vermouth (I usually just use Noilly Prat, but I prefer Martini and Rossi). This gives a bone dry 6:1 ratio.

Stir with about five or six ice cubes until its as cold as its going to get. Strain into a cocktail glass with one or two olives. Drink before it has any chance to warm up. I'm not saying chug it, but it should be gone in two minutes or less. Then, eat the olives.

Tim

Guru

I tend to agree, Gary. I've tried a lot of good gins and Beefeater's is probably the best. And, the good old standard bottling is just great. (Same goes for Bombay).

Vodka? No, not that!

Tim

Advanced Taster

...so I bought glasses, a shaker, Ciroc vodka, VYA extra dry vermouth and unstuffed olives...
    OK, give up the secret!! Where'd you get the Vya Vermouth?? I have one bottle, hand smuggled from Kentucky from a store who said they bought the Vya over the Internet, but I can't find it in MA whatsoever! LeNell's was out of it when I visited there too.

I understand the same folks that make Vya also make Essensia dessert type wines, which are widely available in eastern MA, but the Vya vermouth is unobtanium!

Damn tasty vermouth though...

TIA,

-monte-

Connoisseur

6 parts Bombay Sapphire gin (I also like Boodles, and Junipero gin from Anchor Steam) to 1 part dry vermouth. Shaker vigorously with a shaker full of ice. Add a small dash of orange bitters. Garnish with two pimento-stuffed olives. Mmmmm...

One note about vermouth...Martinis today are generally made with much less vermouth than the "classic" recipe, sometimes with just a wave of the vermouth bottle in the direction of the shaker. This is probably due to the (relatively) new popularity of vodka martinis, as opposed to the classic gin martini. Vodka is much less tolerant of vermouth than gin is. Gin and vermouth are a wonderful pair together, but vodka and vermouth are not so great together, so one must hold the vermouth to a minimum.

As James Thurber said about martinis: "One is just right, two is too many, three is not enough..."

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I prefer Bombay Gin, but find the gin less critical than the vermouth. I like Noilly Pratt but Martini & Rossi will do. I prefer a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio of gin to vermouth. I chill the glass, stir the drink in a pitcher and prefer olives as the garnish. Important! Use a glass or plastic stirer but not metal. Don't allow metal of any kind to come in contact with the drink.

Administrator in exile

Don't allow metal of any kind to come in contact with the drink.
    I'll bite. Why? I guess a metal shaker is out?