Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Your best classic martini recipe...

Nobody seems to like their martini on the rocks. Don't be afraid, just prepare as usual; 3oz Gin, Beefeater is the classic, Bombay Sapphire,standard Bombay or Tanqueray will do, add a splash of vermouth, M & R or Noilly Pratt. Stir in a large glass filled with chipped ice. Strain into a seperate glass containing a few clear cubes. Add a few large olives or or if you prefer a few cocktail onions and call it a "Gibson".

The secret is to cut the gin with the chipped ice. Takes the harshness off the martini. I've been sippin on these for 35 years .

You should adjust the amount of vermouth according to you and your guest's preference. Of course serving "up" in a stemmed glass is a more than acceptible alternative, but me and my old martini buddies have always preferred "on the rocks".

Advanced Taster

Monte, the VYA vermouths (extra dry and also the sweet, which I have not tasted yet) are available at Table & Vine in Northampton, MA and also at Town & Country Liquors in West Springfield, MA. Prices are $20.99 per bottle and plenty in stock. (Town & Country is now actually part of Table & Vine, but is not fully integrated with table & Vine, so some prices are different between the two locations, but not these 2 vermouths). The web site for Table & Vine gives full address and contact info: www.tableandvine.com Unfortunately, the web site inventory listing is loaded with errors: items listed long after being gone for good, shelf items never making it to the web site (this is true for all the vermouths, actually), etc. But they can be called or e-mailed. No web site for Town & Country. And worst case scenario is I pick you up some, wallet willing! Cheers, Ed

Well, all these REAL martini recipes have got me wanting to try the Bombay Sapphire/VYA combo and see how it tastes. Think I will wait to the weekend, especially if I try Tim's two minute rule!

Enthusiast

Important! Use a glass or plastic stirer but not metal. Don't allow metal of any kind to come in contact with the drink.
    Damn!

So much for my stainless stell shakers. Even the little strainer thingy is metal were I to decide to stir it in a glass instead of using the shaker.

Advanced Taster

Monte, the VYA vermouths (extra dry and also the sweet, which I have not tasted yet) are available at Table & Vine in Northampton, MA and also at Town & Country Liquors in West Springfield, MA. Prices are $20.99 per bottle and plenty in stock.

That's great! I've been nursing the one bottle I have and that's not too fun... Western MA is a bit of a hike for me, but I do get out there from time to time. Table & Vine has been on my list of stores to visit for a while, so if I get out west for some hunting, I'll be sure to stop there.

And worst case scenario is I pick you up some, wallet willing! Cheers, Ed

Thanks for the offer!! Maybe I can make the trip out west as an excuse for a visit??

Well, all these REAL martini recipes have got me wanting to try the Bombay Sapphire/VYA combo and see how it tastes. Think I will wait to the weekend, especially if I try Tim's two minute rule!
    I prefer Bombay Sapphire as well, but I've only had it with Noilly Prat - I've been saving my Vya for Manhattans! I'll give it a spin and see how it goes.

Thank for the info, and cheers!

-monte-

Advanced Taster

Table & Vine has been on my list of stores to visit for a while, so if I get out west for some hunting, I'll be sure to stop there.

It is well worth a visit, despite their web site inadequacies: they have the Black Maple Hill 11,14 and 16 YO bourbons and the 18 YO rye plus RR 101 proof, Pappy 15 and the 12 YO Lot B bourbon. Also the 10 YO 107 proof. The Town & Country location has Hirsch 16 (gold foil @ $64) and the Old Rip 15 YO, 107 proof bourbon (old squat bottle, Frankfort) at $41. Also, Spirit Haus in Amherst has Rock Hill farms and a bunch of other nice bourbons. So, some reasonably good places to visit.

Maybe I can make the trip out west as an excuse for a visit??

Sure! I pretty sure we have a mutual SB.com friend too: WEG3. People here are the best. I'm easy to locate: just PM me.

Cheers, Ed

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I forget where I learned that, but there does seem to be a metallic taste that is picked up if any metal is in the mix. I have a glass stir rod for my martini pitcher and my ice cube trays are plastic.

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Add a sprig of bruised Rosemary to the mix.
    I prefer Tanqueray Ten this week.
    It adds a whole new dimension to a Martini. You can even use it as a garnish.

Advanced Taster

Wow - great idea!

-monte-

Enthusiast

Are Gibsons okay? Following the lead of mixmaster Todd Thrasher at Eve in Alexandria, I infused some cocktail onions with saffron and put a drop of the liquid in a Bombay regular 4:1 (ish) mix. It's just pale yellow, and the onions themselves are just brilliant at the end of the drink.

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Its not an original idea. I read it in Wine Spectator, I think. It really complements the herbal juniper notes in the Gin.
    I've tried a few other common herbs (basil, mint,oregano,sage,cardomom, marjoram,) but none of them work. That was a long afternoon. Maybe catnip next?