Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Your best classic martini recipe...

The best martini recipe I know is 4:1 Bombay Sapphire to Noily Prat, stir gently and add olive. Then hand it to the person on your right, left, or across the table and pour 3 oz of ANY bourbon in your own glass and enjoy. Sorry, but I've never developed a taste for martinis.

Enthusiast

The best martini recipe I know is 4:1 Bombay Sapphire to Noily Prat, stir gently and add olive. Then hand it to the person on your right, left, or across the table and pour 3 oz of ANY bourbon in your own glass and enjoy. Sorry, but I've never developed a taste for martinis.
    I've got to agree with Dane on this one, Gin just tastes too much like a... a... well, Christmas Tree comes to mind.

My wife, however, loves Gin, but not Martinis. A very nice refreshing drink that she makes in the summer is:
    2 oz. Tanqueray Ten
    Splash (tablespoon maybe? she doesn't measure) Noilly Pratt Sweet Vermouth
    Club soda

Stir the gin and the vermouth with ice, pour into a Martini glass and top up with an ounce or so of club soda. Sometimes she adds a twist of lemon...

Despite the fact that it doesn't taste too terrible, I think this drink is an abortion of taste and decency. But she likes it, so who am I to judge?

Guru

For some odd reason, I have a hankering for a martini, tonight. I don't have any great gin, but I do have a bottle of Broker's, from Britain. It will have to do (and it will probably do nicely). I will be using my recipe from the above post.

I hope I can find some olives.

Tim

Disciple

Hello everybody,
    Had my first martini today, inspired by this thread. I followed Gary's post most closely, though none too closely. Beefeater Gin 57% abv with Martini and Rossi extra dry vermouth 18 % abv. One ounce of vermouth, two of gin as per the instructions on the side of my cocktail glass, (I had meant to use less vermouth, but my hand slipped. It often does that when I pour bourbon, too...) swirled with a handful of ice. I let it melt until the melt rate had nearly stopped and then strained it to another glass. I used my fingers as a strainer to avoid metal as per Chuck's post, (Well, he didn't say to use your fingers, that was my innovation!) One small cube got through. I tried to drink it while it was still cold as per Tim's post. Altogether an enjoyable drink. I will try it again with less vermouth in the near future.
    Ed

Connoisseur

Here's my personal recipe:

2 oz. Plymouth Gin. (The gin matters folks! I've tried many of the premiums including Bombay Sapphire and Plymouth seems to work best in martinis.)

1/2 oz. Martini & Rossi Extra Dry Vermouth (I'm not a vermouth expert, but this seems to work well.) Note: this is a 4-to-1 ratio which is a little lean, but it tastes great if you use these components.

Shake the begezuss out of it with tons of ice. Forget the whole 'bruising the gin' myth...the drink will be cloudy and have ice crystals floating, but that's part of the experience for this recipe!

Two queen-size olives. (Yes, two--one just doesn't do it. My personal preference is jalapeno-stuffed, but standard grocery-store pimento-stuffed work well too). Don't skimp here either--the olive is a main component of the experience.

Of course, YMMV, but I think they're awesome.
    Enjoy!

Disciple

Hello All,
    I have a dumb question. Does Vermouth need to be refrigerated once it has been opened?
    Ed

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

It does not since it is a fortified wine (wine with a spirits addition) and reaches about 20% abv (give or take) -it should be robust enough to take room temperature. Also, I'd be surprised if much of the vermouth in the market today isn't pasteurised (i.e., going through a steam tunnel for 20 minutes or at least subjected to the less intensive "flash" process). That being said, all vermouth in my experience will go off if kept too long on the shelf. It oxidises and the tell-tale signs, as with beer and wines, is a port-wine-like taste, an dull fruity taste I don't much like except in genuine port itself (where controlled conditions ensure the effect is a positive one). Both red and white vermouth are subject to oxidation if kept too long and the off-taste will not improve any cocktail, of course. Therefore, I think any vermouth should be used up relatively quickly once opened - say in a few months. Much the same advice is given for open bottles of sherry or port. Only whiskey in my experience seems exempt from oxidation if the bottles are well sealed, or if oxidation does take place it is a slow process and different from what affects the other drinks mentioned. I.e., long aeration seems possibly to improve the taste of whiskey although it is hard to tell because most whiskey is drunk as acquired. Nor can one usefully really compare old bottles of the same brand with new because generally the old bottles won't have been made exactly the same way as the new. Doug's tests show that much of the old stock was better, I believe this is because the whiskey was made differently then, not because it improved in the bottle in the last 20 or 30 years. Sometimes I have noted a raw metallic taste in whiskey, especially in restaurants, which may be because bottles are continually opened and not closed tightly when closed, or maybe kitchen odours get in. It isn't I think "real" oxidation. This is a very interesting area (the effect of bottle aging on all drinks including spirits and whiskey) and one where a knowledge of organic and other chemistries would assist to understand what is really going on. Any straightbourbonites with that background are invited, in particular, to comment.

Gary

Guru

I don't know, but since a small bottle lasts me so long (a tablespoon at a time), I refrigerate mine.

Tim

Disciple

Thanks Gary,
    Thanks Tim,
    I think that I will leave it out. Like Tim I probably won't use it up in less than six months, but my fridge is pretty small. I don't think I can get away with keeping that big bottle in the fridge that long. As long as it doesn't go off in couple of weeks.
    Ed

Guru

"A tablespoon at a time" Why so much. When I made martinis I would open the bottle of vermouth and set aside, pour a glass of gin from the freezer and add two queen sized olives (eat a third olive) then close the bottle of vermouth. I thought martinis are best that way.

When I recently moved I discovered a bottle of vermouth that was at least 20 years old. It did not get moved.