Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Your best classic martini recipe...

Churchill said he glanced at a bottle of vermouth from across the room, but I don't think it is a martini without at least some vermouth. My 6:1 ratio is pretty damned dry.

Tim

Virtuoso
    I've just finished my very first martini. I used Bombay Sapphire gin and Noilly Prat dry vermouth (approx. 5:1), with an onion-stuffed olive, and a few dashes of Regan's orange bitters. I stirred it - but next time I'll try using a plastic spoon, based on comments earlier in the thread.

My first sip was sort of a "WTF?" moment, as I'm far more accustomed to the sweetness of whiskey as opposed to the dry, herbal taste of gin. It first seemed to me that I was drinking a salad. However, the deeper I got into the drink, the more I liked it!

This will be an interesting area of experimentation... 4:1 or 6:1? Sweet vermouth and a cherry? A dash of Herbsaint and some Peychaud's?
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by CrispyCritter

This will be an interesting area of experimentation... 4:1 or 6:1? Sweet vermouth and a cherry? A dash of Herbsaint and some Peychaud's?
    Well, those ideas are straying very far from a classic martini.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Virtuoso
    Then again, vodka strays far from a classic martini as well.

It seems to me that the martini is the most "experimental" drink in existence. Some might even consider a Manhattan to be a "whiskey martini." They certainly have plenty in common - a base spirit, a vermouth, a garnish, and bitters.

Virtuoso

Drifting a bit off-topic here...

Quote Originally Posted by DrinkyBanjo
    Much like whiskey I started drinking gin with the good stuff and never messed with the lower end. I once ordered a g&t and it was awful but I couldn't figure out what was wrong. The bartender couldn't figure it out either as it was Beefeater's.

I figured it out pretty quick.
    *LMFAO!*

That reminds me of some G&T's I had long ago; many, many years ago, my sister and I went to a local bar (now long-gone), and I ordered a G&T, which was duly served with whatever was the "standard" gin. It was okay... but then my sister ordered one for me. I instantly noticed the difference. When she asked me what I though of it, I told her, "Hey, that's Tanqueray." Indeed, it was - it had a much deeper flavor than the standard rail gin.

~~~ insert wavy lines here ~~~

There used to be three bars in my town within walking distance of one another, with two of them across the street from one another. Only one of them survives today - and it's just a stone's throw from home [1]. Bar #2 across the street from it got into trouble due to some under-the-table cocaine dealing, and that building now houses an insurance agency and a bank branch. Bar #3 was about half a mile away, and it tried to favor the yuppie crowd - but it ultimately got nowhere. The owner sold out to a developer, and the now-abandoned bar sits, awaiting a wrecking ball.

Back around Christmas 1999, my sister's fiance came from England for a visit. Unfortunately, he left his passport at her house in Michigan. The bar right by home had recently been busted for serving an underaged snitch, and so they were in full "Your papers, please" mode - even though the server was a personal friend of my sister. Even though none of us were under 36, none of us got served, because he didn't have his passport with him. Welcome to Amerika, comrade - check your brain in at the Customs station!

Bar #2 was already closed due to the cocaine issue, so we headed for bar #3. Well, my future brother-in-law [2] was wearing a tank top - and bar #3 had recently instituted a "no tank tops" rule as part of its yuppification effort. Once the owner realized that he wasn't even from the same country, let alone the same county, he was willing to relent, and we got our beer.

At least they're happliy married now - living in Michigan (which, sadly, isn't the best place for booze - but isn't the worst either).

[1] I rarely set foot in the place, because I find cigarette smoke unbearable.
    [2] That being said, I'm damn proud to call him my brother!

Connoisseur
    On another note I was out to dinner with my father (Scotch and Martini drinker but now I buy him Bourbon for his gifts) and I wanted to order a Bombay Sapphire Gin and Tonic and he wouldn't do it. He said good Gin should not be wasted on G&Ts and reservered for Martini's.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Guru

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DrinkyBanjo
    On another note I was out to dinner with my father (Scotch and Martini drinker but now I buy him Bourbon for his gifts) and I wanted to order a Bombay Sapphire Gin and Tonic and he wouldn't do it. He said good Gin should not be wasted on G&Ts and reservered for Martini's.
    I'd say your father is a wise man.

That said, since I spend a lot on good bourbon, I do buy good gin for my wife's gins and tonic. Its only fair.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Connoisseur
    What's fair is fair. Makes for a happy marriage!
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Virtuoso
    Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer
    That said, since I spend a lot on good bourbon, I do buy good gin for my wife's gins and tonic. Its only fair.
    *clink!*

Better booze makes better cocktails, sir!

In spite of my being a bourbon/Scotch/Manhattan/Rob Roy fanatic, the gin/Martini world has its own very different charm.

I think of the Martini as the anti-Manhattan - and that's not a bad thing!

Connoisseur
    Typically,the best martini I have all year is concocted in this manner:

1) Check in to the Palmer House in Chicago.

2) Go to the lobby bar order.

3) Carry it out in to the lobby with wife in arm.

4) Enjoy. If you haven't stayed at the Palmer House while in Chicago, you should, the lobby and the drinks are very therapeutic.
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004