Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Re: Top 20 Distilled Spirits Brands in Iowa

What is interesting to me about this is that what sells varies so much from state to state,
    I don't remember who drew the correlation, but there was one about the areas of the country and what they preferred to drink, corresponding with what was available to them during prohibition, ie Northeast preferring Scotch and Irish, the north, Canandian, and Tequila near Texas and points south. All I can say is Iowa must have caught hell during that time!

Enthusiast

I wonder to what extent a poll like this in a state like Iowa isn't more about what is hot at the college campuses than anything else?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

It was not a poll, which suggests a sampling. Iowa is a control state (the state is the sole wholesaler of liquor) and this is a report of their twenty top-selling labels. It reflects all liquor sales throughout the state.

Connoisseur

Are similar data available from other states?
    Craig

Apprentice

Are similar data available from other states?
    Craig
    That was going to be my question. I am interested how other states match up. I tried a few searches on the web and could not find this info for other states.

Advanced Taster

I know I've seen some industry publications and some pay data services that have this data, but since it has commercial value, it's not free. You can usually find sample summaries for free, but you won't get current data unless you subscribe to their service.

One of the most interesting facts is that there are magazines whose audience is specifically control state liquor commission managers and executives. Talk about a small and specific circulation!!

Regards,

-monte-

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I think I have seen it for a few other states, especially other control states. Most state Alcoholic Beverage Control boards have some kind of web site and many do post sales information. In control states, since the state is the sole wholesaler, it probably is considered public information, hence posted on the web. Unfortunately, I think there are only 18 control states. The National Alcoholic Beverage Control Association web site is a good place to start.

Guru

Chuck, you have just led me to a wealth of information about the Alabama ABC. For example, here is exactly why our prices are so high:

Cost of product - $10.00
    Mark up - 3.00 30%
    State Tax - 7.28 56%
    Sales tax - 1.22 6%
    Retail price - $21.50

Note how every one of those add-ons goes solely to the state of Alabama. They do not even allow the counties and cities to add their own sales taxes (thank goodness for the customer, but it doesn't seem fair). Yet, as high as it is, they keep jacking it up, year after year.

And this is from an October, 2003 report. I think things are even worse, now. Alabama ABC Annual Report

Tim

Guru

Here's something else I found on the website. It seems that you can legally "import" alcoholic beverages to AL for personal use. But, the regulations are so strict, I bet they are rarely used: ABC Direct Import Regulations

Tim

Guru

More interesting stuff in that report:

US whiskies - 19.25% of liquor volume (wine is totally separate in the stats), of which straight bourbon accounts for 10.56% of liquor volume. Curiously, they break out BIB bourbon as a separate category from straight bourbon. BIB is 0.02% of liquor volume. Blended whiskies were 5.1% and Tennessee whiskies were only 3.17%. I find this last figure hard to believe, as when I see people making whiskey purchases around here, it seems that Black Jack is involved about 80% of the time.

Imported whiskies - 14.64% of liquor volume.
    Canadian leads this category with 11.81% of total. Even more than bourbon in this deep, deep south state! All scotch was only 2.53%.

Gin - 11.71% of total, of which domestic gins are 10.88% of total. Again, more than bourbon.

Vodka - 25.32% of total, 20.57% of total is domestic. Way more than bourbon. Why does anyone drink vodka? It is even worse than "brown vodka".

Rum 6.63%, tequila 3.91%, brandy 8.25% each of total volume. (about the brandy - I don't know anyone besides me that ever touches it).

Tim