Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Taster

Old St Nick Sommer & Winter Rye

Evening all!

A German online shop have these two in stock and I am curious about them but the company will for some reason not answer my e-mails, asking for details. I have never heard of this brand. Before I invest some 50 Euros a bottle, can anyone here help out with some info and maybe tasting notes? Also, I am not even sure it's American...

(Rye whiskey is not very easy to come by in Europe, so whenever I see a new one I always wanna buy it. Can't wait to get my hands on the 6 year-old Sazerac soon!)

Thanks in advance!

/Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Old St Nick Sommer & Winter Rye

Old St. Nick is a brand done by the Kulsveens' in Bardstown (We got lucky enough to try some at the Gazebo, Thanks Drew!) I remember it being quite good, but alas, I don't remember anymore whether it was the bourbon or rye (seems like it was rye, but I had quite a few that night) It is export only, so getting it in the States is (practically) impossible. I envy your ability to have access to it.

Guru

Personally, I would love to have those. There was a thread here about the brand a year or more ago. Try Search.

Tim

Connoisseur

Tim/Rob

The bottle Drew brought to the Gazebo last month was a Very Old St. Nick, 25 year old Bourbon, 81.2 proof, D12-19-73, B 4-29-99, bottle # 767, gold wax dipped top. As I recall, this bottling was an over-seas bottling for the Japan market selling for prox 300 bucks...Thanks again Drew, all would agree, that was a great experience!

I'd love to try the Rye. Rob, why not bring that with you to the gazebo this spring at Sampler time!

Best regards, dougdog

I knew somebody was taking notes.

No! You took home the empty bottle! Right?

Here are some notes I made regarding a rye lineup that included Olde St. Nick 15yo (summer, I think):
    Rye tasting

Disciple

Hi Rob,
    I have and love the Old Saint Nick Winter Rye 101 proof. Best Rye I have had to date, thought that is not too many as the present time.d
    Ed

Disciple

Hi Rob,
    I wrote my earlier post in the morning before work so I couldn't go have a pour and try to tease out some of the flavors of this fine whiskey.

I am not much for writing tasting notes but here goes.

Nose: Some vanilla, some cookie spices, brown sugar. Somehow it all adds up to Fresh Air.

Taste: Sweet. The closest I can come is brown sugar but that isn't quite it. The spices come through more. Mint. Maybe some cinnamon, but really more like cloves. The vanilla I mentioned above I don't really find in the taste. More Fresh Air. I think that is what I really like about this whiskey.

Finish: Nice and warm. Long lasting. Fades down to cloves which lingers on and on.

If there are ryes better than this I can't wait to try them!

Ed

Connoisseur

In Japan they sell a whole Olde St. Nick collection as seen here. 151,000 yen is $1310 at the moment

Is that what I think it means (I can't read it), you get all 12 bottles for that price.

At $110 a bottle, depending on what all the ages/proofs are it doesn't sound like too bad a deal.

Outta my price range (my student loans won't cover that), but still not too outrageous.