Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Van Winkle Rye

Enthusiast

Re: Van Winkle Rye

The rye we are bottling now, series "G", was tanked at 19-years. Last year's "F" series is the same whiskey. We never tanked anything at 16-years. I also believe the rye was better at a younger age, but this 19-year is still wonderful. Of course, the age is stated as 13-year on the label.
    Julian

Enthusiast

The rye we are bottling now, series "G", was tanked at 19-years. Last year's "F" series is the same whiskey.
    Wow, hope we can find some of this. LOVED last year's version; better than Sazerac, in our humble opinion.

Apprentice

I have a bottle marked "B280," purchased in Paris. I personally prefer the "F" bottlings, and if the new "G" bottlings are the same, I'm delighted. To me, this is not only the finest whiskey I've ever had, but takes my vote as the single greatest spirit ever made. No kidding. IMHO it doesn't get any better than this. Thanks Julian!

Mark McCabe

Virtuoso

I have a "G" bottling here, which I just opened tonight. I haven't had any other Van Winkle rye bottlings, and the only other ryes I've had have been Rittenhouse BIB, and (not labeled as such, but definitely has a rye flavor) Forty Creek.

Oh, my... What can I say - it's a Van Winkle.

This is seriously good stuff, with a sweet'n'spicy start that segues into a dry, warming, very long-lasting finish. The Rittenhouse's finish doesn't last as long, and it's obviously not aged as long.

Still, the Rittenhouse is mighty good in its own right - it's good to have one of each in your cabinet.

Apprentice

I'd hever tried rye whiskey before today. I saw a bottle of the "F" Van Winkle Rye today, so I gave it a shot, since I've heard so many good things about it. All I can say is WOW, this stuff is just incredible. I've been missing out not trying rye sooner.

It might be safe to say that Van Winkle Rye has secured a spot in my cabinet.

Taster

It should taste the same as the last Frankfort bottling, last year, with an "F" on the label.

I recently across some "A" and "B" series Lawrenceburg bottlings of the VWFRR 13. Were these younger expressions than the "F" and "G" series?

schlep

Taster

It should taste the same as the last Frankfort bottling, last year, with an "F" on the label.

I recently ran across some "A" and "B" series Lawrenceburg bottlings of the VWFRR 13. Were these younger expressions than the "F" and "G" series?

schlep

To say I'm a fan of this whiskey would be a huge understatement. It ranks as no worse than my second favorite spirit of any type. I am very happy to have managed to stash six bottles (all "F") for future enjoyment.