Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AAA-10 Year

Guru

AAA-10 Year

I recently aquired two bottles of Ancient Ancient Age 10 year. One was a 750 in a square bottle at 90 proof. The other was a liter in a round bottle and 86 proof. Does this mean that the 90 proof is older and is being replaced with an 86 proof?
    Joe

Enthusiast

Re: AAA-10 Year

The 750s I got from Binny's in January are 86 proof, so I would assume you are correct; that the 90 proof is older, and no longer being bottled.

Enthusiast

You are correct, the 86 proof is the current iteration of AAA 10 Year. I must admit that supplies of this bourbon are getting very short and outside of Kentucky, Binny's may be the only place that gets any. We used to sell it in VA, however, they will be cut soon.

Ken

Hmmm -- interesting. I have a couple of old-stock bottles from here in Tennessee (where it hasn't been distributed for quite a while -- they still have the state tax shoulder stamp, which ended in 1992; and, yes, they are "10yo", not "10 Star" -- I just rechecked for the umpteenth time) that are 80 proof. The bottle-bottom markings seem to indicate the 750 came from 1991, and the liter 1989. A couple of 375ml and 200ml bottles I've found from that era also are 80 proof.
    So, did AAA 10yo go from 80 to 90 and then today's 86?

Guru

When I used to get it easily in Atlanta back in the early 70's, it was always 90-proof. At least, that is the way I remember it - that was a long time ago!

Tim

Disciple

The AAA 10 year old is fairly common here in Japan, not every store has it, but a lot of them do. It is usually priced around $20 US which is about as cheap as the good stuff gets here. Should I be stocking up on this, too? Or will Japan continue to have this fine bourbon on the shelves?
    Ed

Enthusiast

Okay, I'm stumped. I just called Elmer and he said to the best of his recollection, AAA 10 year has always been 86 proof. I tried calling some of our old-timers and have discovered that everyone is on vacation this week. I will continue to investigate this.

Ken

Guru

Ken,
    I stand corrected. I re-checked and the 90 proof bottle is a 10 Star, not 10 y/o as previously stated. Elmer's recollection is probably correct. Sorry for the confusion.
    Joe

Here's a shot of the label.
    I have a liter, 750ml, 2 375mls and a 200ml, all which say "80 proof", and all found in Tennessee, carrying either a TN strip-seal or shoulder tax stamp. However, to the best of my recollection, the first 200ml I ever discovered here WAS 86 proof.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Enthusiast

Well, the picture sure makes it difficult to argue otherwise! I am going over to Elmer's house in a little while and I am going to have to confront him with the evidence. I wanted to ask Gary Gayheart, but he retired last month and everyone else is out this week.

Ken