Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Administrator in exile

BOTM, 7/05: Old Forester

Bourbon of the Month, July 2005:

Old Forester

Specifically the 100 proof, although discussion of the 86 proof is acceptable. Birthday Bourbon expressions can be mentioned for comparative analysis with either of the traditional Old Forester bottlings.

Sound off!

Disciple

Re: BOTM, 7/05: Old Forester

I'll go get mine tomorrow.
    Ed

Advanced Taster

Well, I went out to buy a bottle; when I saw it was $12.00 for the 100 proof, I thought it can't be that good. I usually pay $20-40, and I haven't been disappointed yet. I don't mean to sound like a bourbon snob; I just didn't have the highest expectations going in. My first two finger pour? Well, I was less than thrilled. All I got was a smokey taste.I really did not enjoy it at all. But, I did not stop there. Over the next couple of nights, I tried several more pours. I am slowly growing fond of it. It doesn't, to me anyway, have the complexity of Elmer T. Lee, EWSB 95, or any of the Pappys. But, it's not half bad. Far better than it's modest price suggests. Over the course of this month, I will work on what flavours I do get from it. It is though a bourbon that after the first glass, I have no problem tasting anything else in my rather limited bunker. Does this suggest it's a little thin? I don't know. Again, time will tell.

Advanced Taster

WA State doesn't carry the 100 Proof, so I bought the 86 proof version to try it. I'll chime in later with my thoughts.

In the 'by-the-way' department, I looked at an old tax-stamped Old Forester BIB 1.75L in a store today for $35 after tax (he had several other smaller sizes, too, including some dimple-sided 86 proofs), but wound up instead buying a sealed/boxed 1975 Benchmark 57th American Legion commemorative bottle for $46. I'll go back for the other(s).
    I already had, however, an OF 100 proof, which states 4 years old on the rear label:

The color is new-copper-plating orangish, as on a current-year penny. The nose has hints of lemon/citrus, with underlying brown sugar/maple, and holds suggestion of a light-bodied pour. On the palate, the weight is indeed light, and the flavors complement the nose about as well as any bourbon I've ever tasted -- the citrus is prominent, with almost no 'dark' flavors (tobacco, leather, acidic oak). There is a medium finish with mild heat, leaving a remarkably fresh aftertaste.
    Not a lot of complexity here, but no real unpleasantness either. This is a fresh, enjoyable drink, seemingly tuned to summertime sipping.
    Afternote: I often marinade beef steaks in OF 86 to good result; I think I'll try this one with pork and/or fish.

Advanced Taster

Well, I've sipped my first finger's worth. Here are my first impressions:

Given that I'm not an expert taster, I'd say this would be a good Scotch drinker's bourbon. Lot's of barrel and smoke. Very little of the vanilla/caramel/maple flavors I enjoy in a bourbon. I'd like to try the 100 proof bottling. The 86 proof version seems a wee bit thin. I'm following it up with some Weller Antique.

YMMV

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Some interesting tasting notes. It's not a bottle that's available 'Downunder' so I'm following the tread with interest

Enthusiast

As I taste this, I am drawn to what it is not. It is not intense like a Bookers or GTS. It is not heavy or complex like a Pappy 15. It is not weird like an Ezra 101 or Corner Creek. It is not hot like a WT101. It is just a simple little Bourbon, that is almost entirely pleasant. Every third or forth sip gives a faint blast of Doctors office alcohol, and that is the only negative I could come up with.

Taster

I don't have my BOTM yet, but I'm reading the thread with much interest. Specifically, I'm looking for comparisons between Old Forester BIB and Woodford Reserve -- how close of a substitute is it, prices btwn the two in your area, etc...

---
    Edited to add that I did buy a bottle of O.F. 86 proof a few days ago. I was impressed for what it offered at its price point, but I've got my favorites covered in that price point already. The 86 would likely not be an addition to my cabinet.

Novice

Old Forrester 86 is my every day first pour for some time now. I always sample a differrent bourbon going from light to heavier body and if your a rye flavored bourbon fan Old Forrester 86 or 100 is tops for the the first sip of the day in my book. The mash bill has 18% rye, more than many. OF 100 proof has been difficult to find in NYC and the likely sources would probably want list price. OF 86 liter lists for $19. but can be had for $13, discounted. The prices some of you are posting quote has me jealous !!! So I mostly drink the 86 now. Forget what the OF 100 says about its age on the label.
    Most knowledgable people report it is actually 8 years old, the 86 proof 5 1/2 years average. For the story on this, see the posting of 10/02/02 on the is site---about page 85 on the index for the whole scoop on how old is Old Forrester. OF is a very distinctive drink with sharp nutty/ toffee tones and dry finish and holds up nicely to ice on a warm day if your are so inclined. I am often.