Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: BOTM, 7/05: Old Forester

Every third or forth sip gives a faint blast of Doctors office alcohol,
    I got that as well. Last night, we pulled some mint from the back yard. It's OK for a julep.

Enthusiast

I went to two different Binny's stores over the past week looking for OF 100. In the past they always used to have it, but now it seems that they have made a chain-wide decision to only carry the 100 proof in 1.75 liter bottles. I'm not quite willing to buy that much of it. Hopefully they have it in 750ml bottles at Sam's. In recent years Binny's has absorbed most of the other major liquor stores in Chicago, so if Binny's as a chain decides to quit carrying something, it can be pretty tough to find. Ironically, I would say that in general the Binny's whiskey aisle has gotten better in the last year or so. But, apparently that improvement came at the expense of shelf space for OF 100 proof.

Connoisseur

Old Forester 100 is indeed a fine pour for the price( about

$14 in Maryland). The caramel and vanilla flavors are

prominent. To my recollection this bourbon is 6 to 8 yrs

old. The 86 proof is a few yrs younger. The labels state

4 yrs on both bottlings.

I always pick up a few bottles of the 100 as it is not

always in stock.

Guru

Lukas Liquor Superstores is where I got my bottle of OF 100. They have it in their online store for $13.99. I don't see a listing of where all they are located but I have been to them here and in KC and the site mentions Kansas and Colorado as possible sites. If you look at the online store though don't stop at the bourbon listing which is pretty bare, they threw about everything into the blended whiskey link for some odd reason. That's www.lukasliquor.com I believe.

Disciple

I paid about US$27 for my 750 ml bottle of the OF 100. So far my impression of it is not very good. I haven't made up my mind yet as I have only had a couple of pours from it. But it burned my throat and seemed bland at the same time. That might have been me more that the whiskey as I had eaten spicy food earlier one day and had quite a bit to drink the night before the other day I poured my self some OF 100. I will be giving it another try later this week.

Some, not all, rye bourbons burn my throat. WT 101 8 year old burns a bit, but not enough to bother me. The Old Grand Dad 114 burns, even with a splash of water. I like the taste of the OGD 114 fine, but don't often drink it because or the burn. I haven't had many straight ryes, but the Jim Beam Rye and the Old Overholt don't burn at all. They are both lower proof, of course, both 80 proof. WT Rye 101 does burn. Tastes great though!

The 86 proof OF didn't burn my throat, in fact, at first, I thought it was a wheatie as it seemed soft and a bit bland. Later, I liked it better, tasting more rye spice than I had upon first opening it.

Well, if I don't fall in love with it (OF 100) before I finish the bottle I won't be buying it again. Here in Japan it isn't priced in the low teens. There are plenty of bourbons that cost less here that I like better. Time and a few more pours will tell.

Ed

Advanced Taster

My first impression was the same as yours. Although I still think its thin, It does get better the second or third time around. It will probably be retired after this bottle. But I am willing to try the Birthday.

I'm enjoying a pour of the 2004 Old Forester Birthday Bourbon tonight -- although I was as disappointed as many when Brown-Forman pulled back on its age last fall, I'm nonetheless enjoying this bottle very much.
    It's much more assertive than the OF 100. The aroma full of maple and vanilla just about jumps down your nose. But, as with the OF 100, you get on the palate exactly what you get on the nose. And, while much richer, it's still not terribly complex. Tasty, though.

Advanced Taster

As I drink more of this bourbon, I am finally getting past the initial smoke/wood/char flavors, and into a more bourbonesque drink. I am now tasting vanilla and candied fruit, and even a hint of bananas on the spicy rye finish, reminiscent of JD Single Barrel. By the time I finish this bottle[I want to finish it this month], it may work it's way onto the "have on hand" list. For a young 86 proof bourbon, it is quite pleasant. It is somewhat thin, it lacks the viscous feel of a 100+ proof bourbon, and it is not overly complex, but enjoyable none the less.

Enthusiast

Ok, not an expert but here goes.

Nose: A bit hot fresh out of the bottle. Lotís of medicine, little else.

After a moment to air out. Oak, lots of oak. Slight fruit.

Mouth: Warm and smooth, does not have the feel of 100 proof. Picking up the oak in taste and not too sweet.

Finish: Again warm and not at all harsh.

Final thoughts: OF 100 and 86 should have a place in your bunker. When you are in the mood for a nice comfortable bourbon this is a good bet. It will not overpower you with flavor. Just plain old good whiskey. Every man has a good pair of everyday shoes. Not out to impress anyone just feel good on your feet. The fact that you know just what you are getting when you put them on keeps them in your closet and away from Goodwill.

OF 100 is just that for me. I can count on it not offending me when I want something light. As many of you know my tastes run to more nose, more flavor, and more finish. For the price it will not replace EC or Wellerís 107 as my favorite mid shelf pour. That said there will just about always be part of a bottle in the cabinet.

Taster

Old Forester could be called 'Old Reliable'. No off tastes, a good balance of vanilla and char and a little heat to boot, and the price is always very good. It beats most other 4 year olds hands down. The only thing missing is a cork.