Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What got you started

Like you I spent my spare change at Miley's, where if they could see your face you were old enough. About 16 and JB period. Then JB Black many years later. Makers was next for a short time. The industry took off and now I drink a little of all of it when I have time.

Only drink once a week, exceptions for holidays and when I'm out of town.

If I let it my love for Bourbon can be and has been at times a bit of a problem.

Disciple

I don't know who makes Rolling K. I haven't had it for more than ten years, but remember thinking it wasn't worth drinking if Jim Beam White was available. Next time I see it I will check to see where it was distilled. Next time I see it for under ten bucks I will buy it to see what I think of it now.
    Ed

Virtuoso

For me, I used to mostly drink beer. Then, in 1999, I brought home a bottle of SMSW (Aberlour 10yo) on the way home from a UK trip. As a noob, I didn't realize that this wasn't particularly rare, so I nursed it along for a long time. After it ran out, I started trying a variety of different Scotches - and then I started on other whiskies - Irish, Japanese, and, of course, bourbon.

As a general rule, I never drink the same thing two days in a row. While my stash is rather modest compared to some of the pictures I've seen here and elsewhere, it would still land me in jail if I had the misfortune of living in a dry county.

I tend to go for high-quality-for-the-buck products - though I sometimes splurge and get a luxury bottle (e.g. Stagg, or Ardbeg 1977). Fortunately, high-end bourbons tend to be more affordable!

Latest bottle, bought today: ORVW 15yo 107 proof, single-barrel bottling for Sam's. Amidst a sea of similar-looking ORVW 10/107 bottles, there were two of the 15. One came home with me... but it may be a while before I actually get around to opening it.

I don't know who makes Rolling K...
    Rolling K was a Japan-only 80-proof bottling by Old Crow. I don't know whether or not Beam continued it after purchasing National Distillers.
    Here's a bottle pic:
    http://www.ne.jp/asahi/miniature/smallworld/
    (Go to the "Bottle Gallery", click on 'r')

The Boss

For me it had primarily to do with what was available to steal from my parent's liquor cabinet. They always had bourbon in there. Since the object was to grab the booze and run, bourbon was the ticket; no mixer required.

That was certainly where my first experience with bourbon originated, but I am at a loss to explain my taste for it. I love bourbon today, and I always have. I was in my early twenties when I really began to enjoy the flavor of it, and 34 when I discovered that there was something beyond JB White and MM. Once I got a taste of Blanton's, it was on.

Disciple

Yep that is the lable.
    Ed

Disciple

I can certainly understand how Blanton's would get you started! It is still king of the hill for me, though there is a crowd of good bourbons trying to take its place.
    Ed

Advanced Taster

Last Sept. 2004 we opened up a bottle of Bourbon that was
    started in Fall 1951 and bottled in Spring 1964 made by
    "Old Farmers Distillery". It sat in a cool dry basement in a box never opened for about 40 years... It's a 12 year
    100 proof bourbon and "WOW" what a Bourbon... So amazed I started doing research on "Old Farmers Distillery" #20.
    I became a member of "Straightbourbon" and asked alot of questions....THANKS Bettyjo, THANKS Chuck.....As they were
    very helpful in answering my questions along with Sam Cecils book. At this point a few of us started buying Bourbon to see if we could match the taste (or close) of the Old Farmers.....29 bottles later(about 100 left to try) and a newly formed Bourbon Club we still haven't found a bottle that is
    the same as the Old Farmers....BUT we found a lot very NICE Bourbons along the way.....THANKS Pappy..... It's been a fun venture gaining new friends and alot of great bourbon along the way...We can't wait to go to Kentucky To visit the Distilleries.
    P.S. Old Farmers Distillery #20. 12 year 100 proof.
    Very smooth, no heat, strong buttery toffee, maples and vanilla tastes...Has the nicest "nose" of any bourbon
    yet... Makes you want to put it on your pancakes after your first sniff...
    Enjoy..............

Advanced Taster

And THANK YOU Straightbourbon. Keep up the good work.
    As I now enter the world of Advanced Taster........
    Life is Good.....

Apprentice

I used to drink Jack and Coke in college. For my college graduation my friends bought me a bottle of Knob Creek and I continued drinking Jack and Coke and Knob Creek and Coke. I later received a bottle of Woodford Reserve for my birthday and tried it on the rocks. I drank KC and WR on the rocks for a few years and eventually switched to drinking them straight. In the last year I have tried to expand my collection by tasting as many different bourbons as possible. This is what led me to this wonderful/helpful site.