Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Taster

August is Drawing Near - BOTM Nominations?

I'm thinking a Weller or Fitzgerald is in order. Any other suggestions?

Advanced Taster

Re: August is Drawing Near - BOTM Nominations?

Seeing as it is headed for the chopping block, how about Eagle Rare 101?

Guru

I agree with Matt.
    Joe

I'd rather spend the effort on something that's going to be around awhile, frankly. I like ER101, and I'll bunker a few bottles before it disappears. But, personally, reviewing it now seems a little like betting on horse right after it's been announced it broke its leg.
    I suggest something like Jim Beam Black or Wild Turkey 101, which is available nearly everywhere, but still is on the upper cusp of mid-shelf.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

I'm looking for an excuse to buy a bottle of 95 Evan Williams Single Barrel to try Or what about something like Bulleit?

Taster

I agree with Tim. I'd prefer something widely available. I've only seen ER101 once, but can easily get (from my bourbon stash) WT101. WT101 sounds good to me.

Guru

I'd rather spend the effort on something that's going to be around awhile, frankly. I like ER101, and I'll bunker a few bottles before it disappears. But, personally, reviewing it now seems a little like betting on horse right after it's been announced it broke its leg.
    I suggest something like Jim Beam Black or Wild Turkey 101, which is available nearly everywhere, but still is on the upper cusp of mid-shelf.
    Tim makes a good case.
    Joe

Enthusiast

Old Fitzgerald BIB

I like the idea of a wheater, for the sake of variety. I favor Old Fitz BIB, since that's been on my list of things to pick up eventually for a while, and if it was BOTM that would be strong encouragement to finally actually do it!

(I never did come across a bottle of OF BIB in a size under 1.75l. If any Chicagoans know of someplace that stocks it in 750 or less size, there's still a week of July left...)

Advanced Taster

Seems to me, it would be wiser to put off choosing a brand that will be around in Aug. 2006, or even 2007. Once a bottling like ER 101 is gone, it's gone. Ya can't go back.

YMMV.

Virtuoso

So, I'm seeing the most interest in an SW derived wheatie or WT101.

I think both of these would be good choices, but if it is to be Fitz or Weller, my only addition is that I don't know that any Fitzgerald product is as widely distributed as is Weller. I've found 1849, but I've never seen Fitz BIB. If I were to order from Chicago for a second straight month to participate in BOTM it could start to feel like Mail-Order of the Month. For a wheatie, I would nominate Weller 12year.

I wish we could always use 100 proof bourbons as a BOTM standard, and that would work, with some fuzzy math for WT 101. Just like Nigel Tufnel's amp goes to 11, WT goes to 101 - can't overlook that extra bit. Overall, I would nominate WT 101.

Of course, come the new releases in September we'll not want for a choice for many happy months.

Roger