Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Rare Breed--Undrinkable?

I agree fully. More power to those who prefer neat sampling no matter what the proof but this is not a traditional way to drink whiskey - not that there are any "rules", to be sure.

Gary

Connoisseur

I usually add water if Im disappointed with the nose. A little splash of H2O can sometimes liven up a dull scent.

I have to stress, though, that this is an exception rather than a rule. As for heavier stuff like Rare Breed, I normally sip those in smaller quantities.

Guru

I am probably about 50/50. I drink it straight a lot of the time, but I also am very often in the mood for one on-the-rocks. And I occasionally cut with water and no ice. And on rare occasions, I have ice and water (as Chuck Cowdery suggested a few months back).

But I almost never decide to have it straight, then add ice or water after a sip or two. If I'm in the mood for it straight, that's the way I have it.

Oh, and it has nothing to do with proof. I almost always have Old Grand Dad 114 straight, while I often have Wild Turkey 101 on-the-rocks. I almost always have Blanton's straight at 94 proof, but almost always have 90-proof Evan Williams on-the-rocks.

Tim

Disciple

I almost always drink whiskey straight. If I rinse the glass between different whiskeys I will shake the glass vigorously to remove as much water as possible. A few months ago that wasn't good enough. At that time I was drying the glass with a soft cotton cloth. If a whiskey requires water, and some do, it is likely to sit on my shelf a long time between pours. Having stated my preferance in the matter I will now admit that I am not sure that this is a good idea. Healthwise I am sure it is better to cut your whiskey to well below 80 proof. After a night of drinking the high proof stuff my lips are dry and my tongue feels rough and I sometimes have heartburn as well. If I drink enought water, a tumbler full or so, between pours I am usually all right. The good stuff just tastes so much better straight.
    Ed

Virtuoso

Water vs. Whiskey

I generally don't add water, except with certain cask-strength Scotches, or sometimes with Stagg.

Last night, I tried splashing a small amount of water into some OGD 114. Big mistake! While it still tasted good, it developed a nasty, sulfurous smell to it - and I was using reverse-osmosis filtered water! It's far better neat.

Another one that didn't take well to dilution (ice, in this case) was Knob Creek. With ice, it was almost cloyingly sweet.

Connoisseur

If I drink enough water, a tumbler full or so, between pours I am usually all right.
    This is the recommended thing to do. I always gulp down vast quantities of water inbetween pours.

I used to have problems with heartburn as well. Encouraged by my aunt (a pensioned nurse) I started to take "White weeks" intermittently. Since then, no problems.

Disciple

Re: Water vs. Whiskey

Just goes to show, everyone is different. OGD 114, at least the bottle I have, is one of the few that requires water. For me at least.
    Ed

Disciple

What are "white weeks"?

BTW, when I was doing Atkins my heartburn disappeared almost completely. I wasn't drinking then either, but I had stopped drinking (For more than two years I didn't drink a drop) before I started doing Atkins and still had heartburn.

Ed

Virtuoso

Re: Water vs. Whiskey (CORRECTION)

Well, I did some further poking around, and the problem that I had with adding water to OGD 114 was caused by spent cartridges in the reverse osmosis filter. Once I get that straightened out, I'll have to try it again.

Connoisseur

Hello Ed!

Sorry about the confusion. Not aware of the English expression, I translated directly from Swedish. A "white week" means abstaining from alcohol completely for one week.