Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Apprentice

Neglected dimensions to tasting: mouthfeel? Ice?

Hi folks, it's been something of a haitus for me.

My brother, in our last phone conversation, mentioned that, from whatever sources that he consults, that Woodford Reserve is the current rage and pinnacle of bourbons. I took the opportunity today to acquire some for the first time, knowing that he'd value my first-hand experience more than what I've read here (or at least that's the excuse).

It's been about month since I've had bourbon as money has been tight for me. Anyway, I was less than impressed at first, until I judiciously iced the second pour and then it seemed not such a bad exchange for thirty bucks. Woodford Reserve seemed to lack heft. What I found myself missing is the heaviness and oily-ness I found in Elmer T. Lee.

How big of a factor is mouthfeel to you?

Are there instances when you prefer ice and others you prefer no ice?

Advanced Taster

Re: Neglected dimensions to tasting: mouthfeel? Ice?

I find that the viscous/oil feel is a big plus to me. Don't know why, just the way I'm wired, I guess. Maybe that's why I prefer to drink 100+ proof bourbons neat.

Guru

Re: Neglected dimensions to tasting: mouthfeel? Ic

I would say mouthfeel is important. I do not like thin or dry mouthfeels and I simply stop drinking those whiskeys.

And I recently bought a bottle of Elmer T. Lee and, yes, it is heavenly. I don't call it oily, but it definitely has a full-bodied mouthfeel. If it was available to me on a regular basis, I'm sure it would be a month-in, month-out purchase.

Tim