Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potrero Rye??

Connoisseur

Potrero Rye??

What do you folks think of the two Anchor Steam Ryes??? I was intrigued reading about them but one is one year old in lightly toasted oak, the other is aged 3 years in charred barrels. I really like the deep wood flavors of spirits like Jefferson's Reserve and my initial reaction to the two Potrero's is 'Why did you rush them out of the barrel?' but this seems to be an intentional act..... Any thoughts???

Cheers,

Ken

Re: Potrero Rye??

What do you folks think of the two Anchor Steam Ryes?..
    Young. Expensive. (That's a combo reminscent of Jack Daniel's.) Never had it (see previous).

Connoisseur

Re: Potrero Rye?

I tried them at the Whiskey Expo last year and found them quite harsh and unpleasant. To my taste they need a few more years in the wood...especially for the selling price.

Connoisseur

Re: Potrero Rye?

That was kinda what I'd expected...... Oh well, that's why it's good to have folks to ask such things of ;-)

Enthusiast

I like it. Old Potrero is made from a mashbill of 100% malted rye, and it is the only whiskey (that you can buy) like that. It is really in its own category among whiskies; it is not really comparable to traditional straight rye or malt whiskey made from malted barley. It might well benefit from more time in the barrel, but I find it surprisingly good for its youth, which is a testiment to the strength of the style. Don't forget, it's bottled at about 120 proof, so if it's a little harsh, some water or ice won't hurt it. (I think I read somewhere that they are bottling a lower-proof version now, but I don't know that for sure.)

Perhaps they bottle it young because they can. Why keep in in a warehouse for six or eight or whatever years, if people will pay a good price for it at one to three years? I would be curious to know how their sales are, and whether people would pay more for an older version.

Connoisseur

Agreed, I also wonder how widely distributed it is.

We get very few things in Ohio (heck, Kentucky is just over the river and we get fewer than half of their offerings!). We don't have either rye or their gin.

Thanks for the impressions though. I, too, had the thought 'because they can'. I'd love to see what 6-8 years would do for it.

Cheers,

Ken

Connoisseur

I really like them both, but agree that they are pricy for young whiskey. My understanding is that rye is more expensive to produce than corn so maybe that causes a bit of a higher price since these are the only 100% ryes. I actually love a Manhattan with the 18th century (2oz), Vya Sweet Vermouth (1/2 oz), and the extinct King Eider Dry Vermouth (1/2 oz), stirred 100 times.

I first tried Old Potrero a few years ago in a bar in Washington DC. It was totally different from any whisky I'd ever tried. In fact, I remember bemusedly wondering if some unscrupulous bartender, distraught at the idea of running out of "the good stuff," had cut his remaining stock of OP with cinnamon schnapps.

Anyway, tonight, inspired by another thread at straightbourbon that said "an unopened bottle isn't doing anyone any good" or something to that effect, I opened a bottle of Old Potrero that I snagged from Sam's while visiting Chicago a few months ago.

I am no sophisticated taster, but while sipping the Old Potrero I'm reminded much more strongly of a decent grappa than I am of a whisky. I still get a ton of cinnamon, and maybe other sweet spices. I'm also reminded of a Chinese spirit that I've tried a few times--and disliked--that is made primarily from sorghum, I'm told. This isn't a fault with the Potrero, but an undertone that is difficult to overlook.

Overall I'd say it's worth the $60 price tag mostly because it's interesting, enjoyable, and different. Objectively it probably doesn't beat a good scotch or grappa at similar price, or a good bourbon at half the price.

Connoisseur

Which one did you have? The 18th century or the the straight rye?

It's the 18th century. Essay 10-RW-ARM-3-A, whatever that indicates.

Tried a bit more tonight, this time watered down to around 90 proof. This makes the grappa taste a little less evident, leaving lots of cinnamon schnapps. Very sweet.