Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Connoisseur

What size is your pour??

One thought I had reading what kinds of glasses people enjoy was "It would matter how much they are pouring." You hear terms like 'two fingers' and 'a dram'.....

In that vein, for a normal evening..... in my Rare Breed (lo ball not sniffter style) which holds about 10 oz I pour about 4 oz (currently Booker's or JR). This seems to leave plenty of room for the aromas to rise and yet gives me several 'sips' through the evening.

Anyone else??

Ken

Apprentice

Re: What size is your pour??

I tend to nurse my bourbon, so my pour may be a bit smaller than some. A 3 ounce pour will last me quite a while. If I have to be somewhere, sometimes I'll cut the amount in half as my short pour. If I'm really in a hurry, I just fill the little .75 ounce pony glass and toss it down the hatch. Fortunately I'm rarely in a hurry nowadays.

Advanced Taster

Generally an average pour is 4oz. I may have two pours in an evening (about 4-5 hrs).

Connoisseur

Not having to be in a hurry is a definate plus! Sometimes when it's really warm like it's been I may have a Kentucky Tea early, then a full pour for a nightcap. Makes for a very pleasant and relaxing evening.

Cheers,

Ken

Apprentice

Having numerous bourbons on hand often makes it difficult to choose which one to drink. To deal with this, I've taken to measuring out 1 ounce pours, and spreading my libations around 2-4 different whiskies. This way I get a nice sampling of my collection at any given time. This has been working wonderfully for me!

Having numerous bourbons on hand often makes it difficult to choose which one to drink. To deal with this, I've taken to measuring out 1 ounce pours, and spreading my libations around 2-4 different whiskies. This way I get a nice sampling of my collection at any given time...
    Ditto here. In fact, my pour can be even closer to a half-ounce sometimes, and I'll try 5 or 6 different whiskies. I especially enjoy side-by-sides of similar, or polar opposite, styles, and can include several contenders this way.

Connoisseur

Add me to the smaller pour club. Lately I've been doing lots of side-by-sides with the goal of 'thinning the herd.' About 3/4 inch in a Riedel seems to work.

Virtuoso

I've found that 50 ml (the standard "airline" miniature bottle) fills a Glencairn precisely up to its widest point. My usual pour is usually about that size or slightly more.

Enthusiast

I fill to the widest part of the Riedel glass, which I've determined to be around 1 1/2 oz. That allow me to sample two or three offerings every evening (well, almost every evening).

Connoisseur

I end up tasting through several things a day so usually about an ounce at a time is what I pour. On those rare occassions I get to kick back and relax with fellow bourbon lovers outside the store, it's much heavier, of course, especially if bourbon friends pour for me.