Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Guru

Re: What size is your pour??

4 ounces? Whoa, Nellie!

When I measure, I pour 50 ml or about 1.6 oz. When I don't measure, I usually pour a little less. And when I pour something dear (such as Rock Hill Farms or Kentucky Spirit), I often pour a lot less.

Tim

Taster

I usually pour over the rocks in a rocks glass to about 2-3 fingers. I start with a top shelf and the go to a daily pour and may have 3 in an evening. Other times I will just do shots. It depends on the bourbon, the mood, and time of day!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Connoisseur

Kentucky born and larger than Booker..... 4 oz is pretty nominal

But the day, the mood (and as you indicate, the bottle choosen) all factor in.

I also have 3-4 espressos every morning just to get my blood moving.... So, maybe it's just me.

Cheers,

Ken

Enthusiast

Call me an idiot, but how exactly is a finger measured?

Advanced Taster

For me, it's just what it says- a finger. So in a rocks glass, two fingers is my index and middle finger.Some bartenders call a pour a "pull", but don't mix the two; otherwise a bartender may ask you to "pull his finger". Not a pleasant experience. By the way, I tried a pour of Pappy Van Winkle 20 yr in a Glenmorangie tulip. I did not get as good of a nose as with a simple rocks glass.

Enthusiast

Not to be stupid again, but are you saying your index and middle finger as in if you are holding them horizontally around the glass? I understand your talking about a finger. Like if you could see Isoflex fingers in his picture? I've always heard everyone use the term but have never known exactly what you all were talking about.

And some of you all have a hell of a tolerance. I would be torched if I drank 4 ounces over a 3 hour period, much less one pour. Maybe you can make that 4 ounces last a long time.

Guru

Yes, with the fingers held horizontally. So, one finger would be about 3/4 inch in the bottom of the glass, two fingers about an inch and a half, etc.

Again, all of this would depend on the width of your fingers. So, for a big guy, two fingers might be three inches or more!

Tim

Disciple

It depends. I don't usually use the term finger here on SB.com since you can't see my glass. I do use the term at home. A finger of bourbon usually is a little less that an actual finger width, though. Two fingers would be a lot more than one finger times two as most of the glasses I drink from get wider from the bottom. One of my favorite glasses is a brew pub glass. One finger is about a fluid oz. or 30 ml. I have a similar glass that has cocktail recipes on the side that has fluid oz. marked on the side. If I want to keep accurate track of how much I drink during the evening I often use that, even though I don't like the glass as much.

However, when I am really being picky, I think in terms of "beers." In other words, one "beer" is equally to the alcohol present in a 350 ml can of beer (a little less than 12 oz.)assuming 5% alcohol, or 17.5 ml of alcohol. So, a "beer" of Stagg would be a much smaller pour than an 80 proof bourbon. (26.5 ml as compared to 43.75 ml)I am not often that picky. I usually just slosh as much as I think I want of the particular bourbon I am pouring.
    Ed

Connoisseur

And some of you all have a hell of a tolerance. I would be torched if I drank 4 ounces over a 3 hour period, much less one pour. Maybe you can make that 4 ounces last a long time.
    I usually am very relaxed at home for the evening when I sit down to enjoy a glass. A 4 ounce pour will last about 45min- 1 hr..... I might pour a second... occasionally ;-).

Cheers,

Ken

Advanced Taster

Again, all of this would depend on the width of your fingers. So, for a big guy, two fingers might be three inches or more! Tim
    Which actually should work, as in theory, the larger the fingers, the larger your body, and the greater your tolerance.
    There is something, to me anyway, classically American about a two finger pour in a rocks glass (minus the rocks).