Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: BOTM, 8/05: Old Fitzgerald BIB

I like the Old Fitz BIB, Tina is lukewarm on it. I've never had the S-W version. Even though inexpensive, in our house, it has premium status since it's unavailable in VA. It seems like a totally different whiskey than the 80, which has a blandness that is not IMHO explained by proof alone.

In honor of the BOTM, I poured one this evening. The nose is dynamic - slightly floral, changing to an odor I could only describe as "sweet," even though that's not really a specific scent, then to strong vanilla after a couple of minutes. The mouth is full but not exactly heavy, honey on the end of the tongue, then in the back a flavor that I would describe as "peppery." Although very different bourbons, the pepper flavor reminds me just a bit of the old 8 year version of Fighting Cock. The finish is spicy, slightly warm, medium in duration.

This does not taste like the Weller varieties I've had. I can't really say how it compares to the older version...until I cross paths with Tim and he's in a sharing mood!

Good choice for BOTM, Jeff!

Novice

This is one I happened to have on hand but as yet unopened, so thought last night would be appropriate to give it a try. Pretty sure it's a recent bottle. Seems to have very limited distribution here in MA (only one store that I've ever seen).

Started neat in a tumbler, and was very surprised about how aromatic it was -- dried fruits, vanilla, spice, etc. Quite complex and very enjoyable to smell. In terms of taste, a bit prickly/unsmooth at first, but this diminished with time. Fairly flavorful/complex, and the finish was decent but unremarkable. Switched to ice, and it stood up well but not as complex. Ended with a dryish Manhattan , and thought it was good but not great -- the bourbon seemed to meld into the background somewhat.

Overall, especially for drinking neat and considering the price ($14?), I was quite impressed. Think I liked it more than the OF 1849 and almost as much as the VSOF, although I haven't had the latter in quite some time so couldn't be sure.

Cheers,
    John

Enthusiast

Not available to me either. Perhaps some of the tasting notes could relate it to other bourbons?

Bob

Advanced Taster

One store in WA state has OF Prime Bourbon, and OF Very Special 12 YO. No BIB.

It'll be interesting to read any tasting notes on this.

Disciple

I haven't been able to find it either. There are still some places I can check. I do have the Old Fitz 1849. I had a big pour of that, at least a triple, Tuesday night. before taking the first sip I set it down next to the bed and read my son a bedtime story. The nose wafted over to me from about a yard away. Lovely fruitiness. Of course, I enjoyed drinking it too! Very enjoyable bourbon. In case I can't find the Old Fitz BIB can someone compare it to the 1849?
    Ed

Virtuoso

I'm finding the nose a bit on the closed side, at least with this initial pour. A bit floral, pleasant but a bit weak.

On the palate, I'm finding it to be quite good. I'm finding a strong honey note to it, with just a touch of spice in the background (not the strong cinnamon I find in OGD 114, Stagg, or ORVW 15). The finish is short-to-medium, a bit of wood and warmth. It's hard to believe it's 100 proof.

Overall, I like it a lot, and it's a steal at $18 for a liter. I'd say it's a good pick.

Advanced Taster

I am still looking for this as well. But at least I've got others to keep me compamy. Other bourbons that is.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Thought I'd try to help out on the tasting notes. Not currently having the OFBIB in the house I'll turn to "The Book of Bourbon" by Regan and Regan (copyright 1995) pgs 168-169:
    " Tasting Notes
    Old Fitzgerald Bourbon, 80*
    Old Fitzgerald, Bottled in Bond, 100*
    Nose: Light and aromatic with hints of citrus and a nice balance of butterscotch and vanilla. A hint of fruitiness (berries) is present in the 100*-proof bottling.
    Mouth: A medium body with a lean, assertive palate-- Tobacco, leather and a nice balance of butterscotch and vanilla. The 100*-proof bottling bears a hint of oak. The finish is medium-long and very gentle."...
    "Old Fitzgerald 1849 Bourbon, 8 years old, 90*
    Nose: Rich and almost "oily," with oak, leather, butterscotch and just a hint of mint.
    Mouth: A big soft body, very mellow and sophisticated. The palate has developed more fruit than the previos two bottlings, but the masculine notes of tobacco and leather are still present. The finish is long soft and soothing."
    and just to complete the Old Fitz list:
    "Very Special Old Fitzgerald, 12 years old, 90*
    Nose: Rich and fruity with lots of berries and a hint of leather.
    Mouth: A huge body, soft and honeyed, a touch of vanilla, some butterscotch, lots of deep, dark fruits and still the whiskey's high notes shine though with the now familiar balance of leather and tobacco. The finish is very long, very warm, and very soothing."
    Now, although these tasting notes are now a decade old, the last time I tried the 1849 and the VSOF they still applied... Must try these again soon.
    Anyway thats about the best i can do for now, hope it helps anyone who wanted to know more about the Old Fitz line.

Enthusiast

Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for this one.

Bob

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

No wonder the 1849 and 12 year old were so good, it was all Stitzel-Weller production.

Gary