Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Guru

What is it about Elijah Craig?

I just had a couple pours of EC 12. There's something about this bourbon I don't like. I don't know what it is exactly. Kind of a flat front end and strange finish IMHO. How do you find it? Perhaps I should have compared it to something, but the taste of AAA 10 the other night is still fresh in my mind. This stuff is no AAA 10 IMHO.
    Joe

Administrator in exile

Re: What is it about Elijah Craig?

EC12 seems to be a love it or hate it brand. I happen to love it, though I enjoy it most (and the 18yo) with a nice cigar. I do seem to remember it taking a couple of bottles before I was totally convinced, so maybe it's an aquired taste. Do you smoke? If so try it with a nice Honduran and let us know what you think.

Guru

If so try it with a nice Honduran and let us know what you think.
    Smoke I do and Hondurans are my favorite, I'm going to give this a try Jeff. Thanks.
    Joe

Connoisseur

I like it and think it is a pretty good buy myself. I'll take mine neat with or without a cigar.

I'm among the handful of naysayers here. It's almost like they forgot to put something in -- I haven't figured out what, and probably won't; even at its great price, it's a waste of money if I don't like it. Always seemed to me like I was drinking it from a stainless steel cup after having a new filling put it. Metal on metal. How that results from 12 years in oak is beyond me.

Guru

I'm among the handful of naysayers here. It's almost like they forgot to put something in -- I haven't figured out what.
    Ah, so I'm not goin' nuts after all! I agree with you Tim, now that you mention it, there is somewhat of a metallic like taste in there.
    Joe

Enthusiast

I agree. I always have liked it. Even when the price was $16.99 in PA, it was a deal. Now, at $12.99, it's an even better deal. I really like the taste.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

I must admit, it's in my top 10 favourites, but if I drink too much, I really feel it in the head the next day

For its price, its a reasonably good buy Downunder (in my opinion). It retails at $39.95 which is $5 dearer than Jim Beam Black and $5 cheaper than Bulleit or Evan Williams Single Barrel...

Connoisseur

The first bottles I had back in 2000 offered a truly stupendous nose and an awesomely complex finish.

Nowadays, the finish is pretty good but nowhere near the splendours of yore and the delicacy of the nose is all but gone.

With EWSB and McKenna SB around IŽll have to get some pretty strong indications for a reversal to old form before I will fork out hard earned cash for EC 12 again.

Connoisseur

Only tried it once, a couple years ago. Been on my list to go back and try again but that first pass wasn't what I'd hoped for. I also want to try the 18, which I can't seem to find here. Mabye Jeff should make it the BOTM next month.....

I'm only now coming to understand how much "I" influence how things taste. The other day I had a pour of Jefferson's Reserve (which I really enjoy) and I found it harsh and acidic.... Wound up changing to Laphroaig that evening. Nothing about me ever seems to be able to change how Laphroaig tastes ;-) Hmmmm.

Cheers,

Ken