Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Greatest Bourbon Sin?

I have a confession to make -- earlier this evening, I poured Stagg (Spring '05) into an equal part diet cola (not even Coke or Pepsi, but Kroger's 'Big K' brand) . I blame Gary Gillman. That, and the fact that I had just been reading, on another forum, about how rum might be the only thing to improve Ardbeg 10yo. It got me to thinking -- a dangerous pastime.
    Here's the worst part -- I liked it! No, I'm not going to make the rest of my 17 bottles (I wouldn't have done it if I'd had only 1 -- really!) of George T. Stagg into mixers. But, well -- I liked it!
    Then I added a few drops of Quinta do Vesuvio 1990 vintage port to some 2004 Old Forester Birthday Bourbon (Which was the greater sin? The Vesuvio is a $60-$70 bottle!) I think I created something akin to dark rum. I liked it, too!
    (I know -- I'm so shallow.)
    Surely, I can't be the only one: Let's hear it -- what is your worst bourbon sin? (At least it wasn't Pappy 23! )

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

Re: Greatest Bourbon Sin?

OMG.....TNBOURBONSTEIN!

Connoisseur

Tim,

It sounds like your losing control.

My greatest bourbon sin is just too many unopened bottles.

I think I know my penance... 3 Hail Mary's and be generous

to my fellow board members next month in KY.

Guru

Tim,
    You not only committed a sin, but a mortal sin. One that you cannot be forgiven unless you undo your wicked mixing practices.
    Joe

Connoisseur

Which was the greater sin? The Vesuvio is a $60-$70 bottle!) I think I created something akin to dark rum. I liked it, too! (I know -- I'm so shallow.) Surely, I can't be the only one: Let's hear it -- what is your worst bourbon sin? (At least it wasn't Pappy 23! )
    I don't see any sin here Tim. The most I ever do to my bourbon is add a little water and ice (for sitting out on the deck summer afternoons) BUT whatever you enjoy drinking is what you enjoy. I think you show great courage and imagination!! All hail the explorers, inventors and artists amoung us!!!

The sin here is mine... envy of those 17 bottles of GTS. I've never even seen one.....

Cheers,

Ken

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

Tim,

It sounds like you're losing control.
    Fortunately, many of us can say that we knew the real Tim, long before he suffered that meltdown of sensibility in August '05.

The Boss

Honestly Tim, the only sin I see here is the amount of money you spent on that port. Port's some foul shit man.

OK, joking aside, why not make mixed drinks with your best liquor? If you choose to make a mixed drink, why not have the best?

I use bourbon as a flavoring agent in the kitchen on a regular basis. I keep a bottle of 2003 Stagg and a bottle of Booker's in the kitchen cabinet, and I wouldn't use lesser (or weaker) bourbons in my food.

Keep the bottle of Old Warthog for your guests who wouldnt know the difference; drink the good stuff yourself ... any way you'd like.

Guru

The only real sin would be keeping the stuff cooped up in a bottle.

Regards,
    Squire

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Bingo. Jim hit the answer squarely on the head. No matter what you are doing or making, use the best ingredients you can. Stated that way, the logic seems unassailable.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

The sin here is mine... envy of those 17 bottles of GTS. I've never even seen one.....
    Here you go , man!
    Attached Images Attached Images