Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Pretty good deal

I am heading over today and will let him know you guys are thinking about him! That will make his day!

Ken

Novice

I snagged a bottle of the Stagg's last week too. This is the 131 version and I'll have to see how it stacks up against the other (think it is 124 or 128). A good deal I HAD to do it!

Enthusiast

Elmer ... called me yesterday and let me know that his stock of his namesake bourbon was running low. He also said that he did not want the wax closure. I believe he is also sold on the shrinkband.
    Last week in central Wisconsin I bought this bottle of ETLSB with a plain plastic screw top. When was this style bottled?

It is mighty tasty, and, as is typical of prices for liquor there, was only $18.98.

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

I can answer your question about the old ETL bottle
    Accoring to Ken Weber: Prior to 1992, the ETL bottle looked like the one in your picture, except the glass was dark and it was 107 proof. In 1992, they lowered the proof to 90 and the tall skiney neck bottle was clear. In 1999, they switched to the current Old Charter type bottle.
    So.....your bottle was made between 1992-1999
    Enjoy!!
    Dawn

Enthusiast

Actually I think the taller bottle with the black label is a little more practical than the squat wax-top bottle, although arguably it's not as classy. When I bought my bottle of ETL, there was a row of the black-label bottles on the shelf, but only a couple of the wax-top squat bottles---I thought, "Uh-oh, they're going to a cheaper bottle! I'd better buy this nifty wax-sealed bottle now, while I can!" It was with some chagrin I learned that I had it backwards. I haven't seen the black label bottle in a while. If I did, I'd grab one.

Enthusiast

your bottle was made between 1992-1999
    Enjoy!!
    Thanks, Dawn. I have enjoyed some already!

The bottom of the bottle has "93" molded into it, so it is possible that it is at the older end of that range.

I don't suppose there is any reason to believe that it is better than current bottlings, except for the fact that this was a period of oversupply. So it may, indeed, be better. It sure tastes wonderful. I haven't had any recent bottlings.

I think I'll ask my sister, who lives in central Wisconsin where I bought it, to pick up whatever remains on the shelf.

Jeff

Enthusiast

You guys (and guyettes) are good!
    Ken

There's a store here that still has three of those on the shelf....same 93 date on the bottom.
    Dawn

Ken.....that would be "bourbonette"! I got my information from you awhile back
    Dawn

Enthusiast

It is mighty tasty, and, as is typical of prices for liquor there, was only $18.98.

Jeff
    You guys are going to HATE me for this. I just got back from a cruise of the Caribbean. At the duty free shop at the cruise terminal in San Juan I found four bottles of this in beauty cartons, and I bought all four of them, at $5 apiece. There was also a big stock of AA bonded there also at $5, but I was limited on how much liquor I could bring back, so those stayed there.