Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Guru

Re: Pretty good deal

I don't hate you, I just envy you.

Tim

...I was limited on how much liquor I could bring back, so those stayed there.
    No, you weren't, unless you're referring to how much you could physically carry. San Juan is a U.S. port, as Puerto Rico is a U.S. commonwealth. There is no duty on goods purchased there and brought back to the U.S. mainland. Now the fact you bought them duty-free may oblige otherwise, but even so, the only limit would have been how much you can bring back duty free. And the duty/tax is generally only 3% of the purchase price, so even as declared good, those $5 bottles would only have been $5.15. Go ahead -- go on back and get 'em!

Guru

Unless the laws have changed since I was there, I disagree.

On my last cruise, we were told that we could bring back up to five bottles of anything from the duty-free shops of US or non-US countries plus up to five bottles of Puerto Rican rum bought in Puerto Rico, specifically.

That was in 1990, so the laws well may have changed, but that was a very clear and concise explanation, to me.

Tim

Guru

Jeff, what you have there is what we lovingly refer to from time to time as the BUB (Butt Ugly Bottle). Not exactly sure when they changed the bottling but the new one sure is a lot prettier.

Connoisseur

Unless the laws have changed since I was there, I disagree.

On my last cruise, we were told that we could bring back up to five bottles of anything from the duty-free shops of US or non-US countries plus up to five bottles of Puerto Rican rum bought in Puerto Rico, specifically.

That was in 1990, so the laws well may have changed, but that was a very clear and concise explanation, to me.

Tim
    Tim, we were there in '03 and what you say sounds like what we found as well. Would up moving all that rum from the suitcase to the carry-ons at the airport to make bag weight!! Man those carry-ons were heavy!!! We have rolling carry-ons now!!

Ken