Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whiskey Storage

Advanced Taster

Re: Whiskey Storage

Exactly right! But it has never actually been a personal concern of mine: I favor just finishing bottles that are nearly empty and not keeping lots of bottles open. Right now, I have open 5 bourbons, 3 ryes and some scotch. I agree with Bobby that bourbon seems pretty immune to changing in the bottle when the bottle, even when the bottle is almost empty. Rye likewise. But some scotches do seem to deteriorate significantly then.

Guru

Why not just drop glass marbles into the bottle until the level reaches the desired height?

Taster

Talk about thinking outside the box!! I love it....only problem I see is getting your finger wet with bourbon while trying not to let marbles fall into the glass. If having bourbon around for too long ever gets to be a problem for me (it hasn't so far) this is the route I will go!!

Guru

I think the key is simply to drink the bourbon before long term storage becomes an issue. I don't mean to sound sarcastic (or alcoholic)here, but in my mind bourbon is made for drinking.

I understand the concept of saving a special bottle for a special occassion and all, but those that are thinking this is an investment opportunity or a great endowment for their heirs are largely kidding themselves. I say invite over some friends and drink up and move on... there are plenty of great bourbons out there to try, with new ones coming along all the time. The one thing they ALL have in common is that they were made to be drunk.

The great thing about bourbon and friends is that they combine to create the tasting experience. I find that even a tried-and-true "everday" bourbon can provide a unique experience with the right friends and the right moment.

I say drink up, enjoy, and move on.... life is to short to do otherwise.

Taster

This thread reminds me of a line from "Speed".

"A bomb is meant to explode. That's its meaning - its purpose. Your life is empty because you're trying to stop the bomb from becoming."

No disrespect to anyone who holds onto bottlings to savor later, but I drink the bottles now. But then again I really don't have the funds to both drink bourbon AND stock up on it. Perhaps a career change is in order.