Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Holy Grail bourbons

I am very new to the world of bourbon. My only post on this forum so far has been for a search on a 20 year AH Hirsch. So far no luck!!

During my search I realized how difficult it is to find bottles of the 20 year AH Hirsch. I have called more places that I care to mention. It did made me think though. Are there other "Holy Grail" type bourbons out there that are very difficult to find? So far, I am sure of the 20 year and the 19 year AH Hirsch of being in this Holy Grial category. Are there others out there as well?

Connoisseur

Re: Holy Grail bourbons

Connoisseur

I saw that on ebay too. He doesn't have it though. I emailed the guy and asked how many he had so he contacted his distributor and came back to me and said none.

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

If you look at the ad, he's got the 16yo advertisement with a listing as a 20yo bottle......dips#@! The 20yr old label doesn't look like that. It has script writing.

Dawn

Connoisseur

His auction is very shady. I emailed him about it and told me if I won and he couldn't get the bottle he'd refund me the money. Umm, what the heck si that?

THE HUNT CONTINUES!

Guru

Well, I don't know about the Hirsch 20 but the guy sure came through on my Pappy 23 this week. This is actually the second time I've heard this story, from two different people. It's sad when eBay allows people to list products for sale they don't even have.

...It's sad when eBay allows people to list products for sale they don't even have.
    I don't think they allow it when they know it, Dane. There's no way they can keep track of tens of thousands of individual sellers unless somebody turns him in.

Guru

I may be in the minority here, but I fail to understand the mystic of 20 year AH Hirsch. After reading about it here for many months, I recently had a chance to taste some along with some Hirsch 16. I was extrenmely disappointed... I found the 20 year to be thin and uninteresting; definitely lacking in character. The 16 was much better, in my humble opinion.

FWIW, one man's palette's opinion....

Administrator in exile

I tend to agree with you John. I prefer the 16yo to the 20, but I'd take a bottle of Buffalo Trace over either

Guru

When I first began the obsession stage a couple of years ago, Hirsch 20 was still somewhat available here and there and I was lucky enough to find one at the original price. To me the Holy Grails (which can still be found in obscure places I'm told) are UD's Henry Clay and Joseph Finch. I still hope to chance upon one or both some day but the one I would consider to be THE bourbon to add to my collection would be a Very Very Old Fitzgerald from SW. That would be worth slaying a dragon for.