Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Holy Grail bourbons

What is a "Holy Grail" to one person isn't always the same to another. From a future collectabilty point of view, yes the Hirsch is one, but to some who wishes to consume, it may not be, or may be, to their particular palate. For example, I know many people who look down upon Very Old Barton, yet there seem to be many people on this board, to whom, a trip to Kentucky wouldn't be right without taking home a bottle, because it isn't available where they live(I, personally, like VOB, it was one of my first bourbons, and I still drink it as often as many other bourbons-Bonded, Please!).

Now to get on my pulpit, for my advice to a newbie, you will learn many times more by reading as much whiskey material as you can, than you will by just drinking what is "supposed" to be good. I have many bottles that I bought and haven't opened, because I don't know enough about them yet(Old Bardstown 10yo 101), or want to put a flight together and I don't have the rest(many of these are just waiting for me to get around to buying some readily available bottles, and I keep passing them over for things with fancy labels-but, does anyone have a 2004 Sazerac they'd be willing to let go).

Ok, done preaching.

As I said each bourbon drinker will have his own "Grail". And we all hope to find more in our whiskey travels. I'm currently hoping the new "younger" Sazerac will be added to my list.

Connoisseur

I understand your point about each person having a Holy Grail bourbon. I guess what I was looking for are the bourbons that are at a minimum good (probably closer to VERY good) that are very difficult to find or just not made anymore. The idea would be that if you say one you would damn near soil yourself. A great bourbon that is conusmed often and is readily available is just that, a great bourbon which one drinks often. A holy grail borubon I would think is one that is great AND difficult to track down. I guess there has to be a certain mystique associated with the Holy Grail category otherwise there is no reason to want to attain it. Thanks for everyones comments thus far.

Connoisseur

I searched the web, Very Very Old Fitzgerald bourbon by SW DEFINITELY counts as a Holy Grail bouron!

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

The 20 in my view has a rounder, richer character, well-oaked but in a good way, also was deeper and softer than the 16. But some people see it the other way to be sure.

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Yes, also any Old Fitzgerald (certainly VOF) from the Stitzel-Weller era and some of the other labels of that distillery.

Then, in my view, Hirsch 16 and 20 (1974 Michter's distillate), any Overholt rye from the National Distillers era (before about 1990-1991), any Mount Vernon rye when it was a straight rye whiskey, any Old Grandad when it was made at Frankfort. Probably also any Yellowstone Bourbon when made at original Louisville plant especially Mellow Mash.

But everyone would have their own list which would differ from mine and perhaps not include any of my choices.

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Well...I might lose control of some bodily functions if I saw some George Dickel Special Barrel Reserve sitting on a shelf somewhere...though I still have a couple bottles...I'd hate to be stingy...but......

Guru

Ah, by that definition, mine would be 12-year old Wild Turkey.

Tim

Apprentice

Buffalo trace, imho.

Disciple

Lucky me, the WT 12 is Not a Holy Grail bourbon by that definition. Just expensive. ($45 to upper $50s) It is my regular pour when I go to the bar. The bad thing about that is that the other, wonderful, WT bourbons are disappointing after having had the 12.
    Ed
    Ps. Tim, I don't know if it will make you feel better, but I am sure some of my Holy Grails are easily available to you and probably cheap as well.

Disciple

Buffalo Trace is worthy of being a Holy Grail Bourbon. IMHO. I sure hope that they get there distribution problems ironed out.
    Ed