Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Holy Grail bourbons

You're a lucky, lucky man...I wonder if I can relocate?

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

The bad thing about that is that the other, wonderful, WT bourbons are disappointing after having had the 12.
    I haven't drank Tribute, Freedom, or Stampede, given that my findings are the same as yours.

Advanced Taster

To me the Holy Grail is the Van Winkle 23 yr. But isn't a Holy Grail something much desired, but always out of reach? I can find the 23yr, but at $200.00, I'm in no hurry. Now what may be a true (and very inexpensive) Holy Grail,for me, is the Ancient Ancient Age 10yr, simply because it is not available in Colorado. That makes it something I want to try, but can not obtain. I guess we all have our Holy Grails, until we tackle them.

Connoisseur

My "Holy Grail" bourbon is Blanton's "Straight from the Barrel." I don't do enough international travel to have access to it, and have never seen it for sale in the States.

Although I've heard it doesn't really shine at barrel-proof, I'd still like to try some.

My "Holy Grail" bourbon is Blanton's "Straight from the Barrel."
    In that case, I would have liked to have gotten the remains of the barrel of ET Lee we drank from at Warehouse H in 2003, of course it also needed to bottled at Barrel Proof.

Enthusiast

Although I've heard it doesn't really shine at barrel-proof, I'd still like to try some.
    I picked one up on a recent trip, but have yet to crack it open. I'll post my findings soon.

Disciple

I should be able to get Blanton's Straight From the Barrel but I haven't seen it on the shelf and I have checked a lot of shelves! I have seen it on line and with have to order it soon. That site has a lot of things I have only heard about here, never seen.

Connoisseur

I haven't drank Tribute, Freedom, or Stampede, given that my findings are the same as yours.
    What did you mean by this (just curious)?? That you like the 12 yo and the 8 yo didn't measure up so you don't want to try 15 yo Tribute?? Or you own Tribute but just haven't opened it yet?

I got confused

Ken

It means that I don't own a bottle of Stampede, and I didn't state that. That I do own a bottle of Tribute that remains closed, and a bottle of Freedom, that since a bottle of that went for over 600 recently on ebay, I will not pull the plug on that one either.

I guess I could have written that Tribute,Freedom and Stampede may all be better than the 12 year but since I have not tried them, the 12 is the best so far. I have no problem with the baseline product, Rare Breed or RR in it's old trade dress and proof.

I'm not happy about cutting the proof on Russells Reserve, and the Kentucky Spirit bottlings can vary a lot from barrel to barrel, you don't expect them all to be the same, but they cover a wider spectrum than other single barrels do.

Enthusiast

and a bottle of Freedom, that since a bottle of that went for over 600 recently on ebay,
    Wow, it's good, but not that good. I guess I'm gonna have a half bottle around for a while.