Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Enthusiast

Re: Holy Grail bourbons

We produced a barrelproof Blanton's for La Masion du Whisky in France; it was quite nice.

Ken

Enthusiast

Ah, one after my own heart! Thanks for the compliment!
    Ken

Connoisseur

We produced a barrelproof Blanton's for La Masion du Whisky in France; it was quite nice.

Ken
    That´s something of an understatement, I believe. I think it´s fabulous!

Gary´s tastebuds can´t be in shape. Canadians, go home!

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Well, can't let that one sit for too long. First, Ken said produced for La Maison, so a special one presumably. Plus, each one is different anyway, right, being from a single barrel. The ones I bought (I must have bought 4 or 5 so I'm not a bad customer of the brand ) were all bottled from the same barrel or one just over from it on the same day. They were in other words all from the very small lot made available here. And yes I found those alright but not great. They were dry, some astringent, without a "luscious" quality I like. Water improved them but as I said before that just (IMHO) brings them to to the flavour of the other Blantons. I've tried all of them except the Silver Barrel. I am a huge fan of Buffalo Trace's products but for some reason Blanton itself has never greatly appealed. My key bourbon from them is Elmer T. Lee, after that Buffalo Trace, and then many others (Ancient Age, Rock Hill Farms, etc.). They play an honoured role in my personal blends, averaging about 50% thereof. This partly because more bourbons are available here from Trace than from other companies but also I like the (generally) rich, nutmeg-like character offered by the Trace bourbons and especially Lee and Trace itself.

Gary

Enthusiast

Gary,
    You make a very interesting point; I too prefer a number of our other bourbons over Blanton's. When I attend a whiskey tasting event, people swear by the taste of Blanton's. I honestly believe that if I poured AA 4 year old into the Blanton's bottle, half of the people would comment on how it is the finest bourbon in the world. Of course, the other half would wonder what went wrong! When someone asks my opinion regarding our finest single barrel, I must admit that it is a toss-up between Eagle Rare SB and Elmer T. Lee. Both cost about half of Blanton's, both are 3 - 6 years older than Blanton's, and both are just superior bourbons in my opinion. Still, true Blanton's fans stand by their choice!

Ken

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Thanks Ken for seeing in part anyway my viewpoint. I think Blanton appeals to many who like a dry scotch palate. I don't know if that is intentional (on the part of those who formulate the Blanton profile) but it always reminds of a good blended (Scotch) whisky palate when I drink it! Certainly Buffalo Trace offers a great selection for different tastes - and by the way I like ER Single Barrel too but also ER 17 year old. Just superb.

Gary

Guru

My (BT) favorites are Rock Hill Farms, Elmer T. Lee, and Blanton's, in that order. That said, I honestly think Blanton's is superb. Sure, I wish it didn't cost so much, but it is what it is.

Tim

Connoisseur

I think Blanton appeals to many who like a dry scotch palate.
    Touché! After all these years I´m still nothing more than simple Scotch slurper. Oh, well, maybe one day I will be worthy.

Honestly, I´ve only had one bottle of SFTB so my opinions could hardly be deemed as all-encompassing. Anyways, I had another go at it last night, inspired by this thread, and this time, with cousin Stagg absent, the fruitiness was even more pronounced, very concentrated.

The dryness is there for sure but more like an undercurrent as opposed to the ultra-dryness of AAA 10yo. After about 30 seconds everything surrenders to the corn.

Apart from that I also agree with Tim. Rock Hill Farms definitely deserves to be mentioned.

Connoisseur

Over time I compiled a list of bourbons that are difficult to find and probably pretty valuable if sold on ebay. I guess over time I am answering my own question by compliling this list, but here it is below:

Blanton’s Gold
    AH Hirsch Reserve 20 yo
    AH Hirsch Reserve 16 yo (blue wax top and gold wax top)
    AH Hirsch Reserve 15 yo
    AH Hirsch Reserve 19 yo
    WT Tribute
    WT 17 yo
    WT 12 yo
    Evan Williams 23 (maybe, since its only sold in japan)
    Henry Clay
    Joseph Finch
    Geoorge T Stagg 2003 (hazmat version)
    Very very old Fitzgerald 12 yo or 15 yo
    Very old Fitzgerald 8 yo
    Distiller’s Masterpiece 18 year old cognac finished
    Distiller’s Masterpiece 20 year old port finished
    Evan Williams Single Barrel 1986-1988
    Pappy 23 (probably)

I am not sure if this list will get me anywhere, but I do keep a lookout for these wherever I go, JUST IN CASE. You never do know sometimes.