Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

New Cocktail -- the \"UnBourbon\"?

Perhaps Timothy (barturtle) can help me out here, but in floundering around tonight in search of something different to drink, I happened upon a quite pleasant cocktail:
    <ul type="square">[*]1-1/2 to 2 ounces blended Scotch (in this case, Cutty Sark) [*]3-4 ounces ginger ale (Canadian Club here)[*]a couple of marischino cherries[/list]
    It was quite enjoyable, if simple, and has two things to recommend it -- it used up some of my blended Scotch , and DIDN'T use up any of my bourbon .

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: New Cocktail -- the \"UnBourbon\"?

I'm honored that you would think of me.

Now that I'm home, I have access to my entire library including some old bartending books.

You've come quite close to a drink called a Highland Cooler which oddly enough I have 2 recipes for.

both call for sugar(or simple syrup) 1/2-1 tsp
    2 oz scotch(they're old and don't recognize SMSW or blended)
    one give choice of Club soda or ginger ale- the other says 50-50 total 3 oz

Your version replaces the sugar with the sweet cherries plus adds the cherry flavor-sounds like a good addition.

Most of the recipes I see are variations on the manhatten/rob roy theme, however I found a variation on the Mint Julep theme that sounds good

-Scotch Smash-
    Measure of scotch
    8 mint leaves
    2 tsp honey
    dash orange bitters

muddle mint with honey, add crushed ice, fill with scotch and top with bitters, garnish with mint leaf.

I don't normally have mint sitting around but if I tried it and liked it enough I just might have to keep some in stock.

Re: New Cocktail -- the \"UnBourbon\"?

Thanks, Barkeep! Actually, it sounds like I may have stumbled upon a sort of combination of the two -- the cherries are kept in their jar, from which I poured half the original juice and replaced it with sweet vermouth (in lieu of simple syrup?) and some Angostura bitters. (I keep the cherry conconction on hand for quickie Manhattans -- just add bourbon or rye! -- usually.)

Connoisseur

Another New Cocktail...

Speaking of new and interesting cocktails, I have a book called "Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails" which has old cocktail recipes from days gone by. I tried a new one tonight, and thoroughly enjoyed it:

The Derby Cocktail:

1oz bourbon (I used Weller 12yo)
    1/2oz sweet vermouth
    1/2oz orange curacao
    1/4oz fresh lime juice

Shake with ice, then strain into cocktail glass, add mint leaf.

Man, was it good! According to the book, this recipe came from the 1947 bar guide at Trader Vic's

Guru

Re: Another New Cocktail...

Yes, there were some very sophisticated and excellent drinks in the 40's and 50's. Modern recipes are usually pretty silly, in comparison.

Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Another New Cocktail...

While browsing through another old bar book I noticed something that modern-day mixologists would find quite amusing. The recipes for both manahtten and old fashioned call for rye whiskey, where the recipe for sazerac calls for bourbon.