Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Taster

Scotch/bourbon, one better than the other?

I've written a lot and talked about this subject on more occasions than I can remember, but not from the opposite direction I am about to ask you about. Having started as a Scotch drinker, blends as well as single malts (and Irish whiskey), at first I did not take much interest in bourbon. My loss. What irritates me tremendously is when Scotch drinkers shrug when asked about American whisky (that includes all variants). "Don't like it at all", some respond.

That is all OK with me, as long as the person in question knows what he is talking about. If s/he had tried an Eagle Rare, Wild Turkey Rye and Maker's Mark, I will tip my hat and say, "you've found your passion, go with it". But they are not the ones that irritate the f**k out of me, rather, it is the ones who trust prejudices handed on from their peers. They accept it as fact.

Bottom line: I think many Scotch drinkers dismiss American whiskey on mere principle without having enough experience. (Why do I care/get irritated? Dunno, call me an altruistic philanthropist who want to broaden their horizons )

To my question: those hard-boiled bourbon afficiniados here, are you regarding Scotch the same way? As inferior/not as interesting. If so, what do you base your opinions on?

/Robert the curious

Guru

Re: Scotch/bourbon, one better than the other?

Well Rob,
    I, for one, do not like Scotch, never have. I just do not like a smoky, peaty taste in my whiskey. I would also imagine some Scotch drinkers feel the same way about corn whiskey. Different strokes for different folks.
    Joe

Virtuoso

For me, it depends on my mood. Sometimes, a pour of bourbon is what I want, while other times, I reach for the Scotch, whether it's a sherried Speysider, a peaty Islay, or a middle-of-the road Highland.

Sometimes I switch styles multiple times in one session.

I can't say that one is "better" than the other, though. However, at least in the US, bourbon tends to offer more for the money - I can get a bottle of Stagg for about half of what I paid for my now-no-longer-available Ardbeg 1977 (which is going to stay unopened for a long while). I had a bottle of '77 early this year, and it was superb (provided you like peat in the first place, as I do). Fortunately, I managed to find another one before it disappeared for good, but it was still on the very top end of what I'd be willing to pay for a bottle of anything.

Novice

I too just don't like the smoky peaty characteristics of scotch. Which is why I do like Irish whiskey very much. Redbreast and Jameson 12 yo are some of the best whiskies in the world, imho. And Powers isn't so bad as an everyday pour and/or something to put over ice. That said, I do have an open bottle of The Macallan that gets some attention every now and again. It's simply a finely made whisky that I don't find too peaty. Even still, these whiskies only get poured about once for every ten times I pour myself some bourbon.

Connoisseur

Rob, I like almost all Scotchs but will usually choose a Bourbon. I just like the way Bourbon is put together. The big exceptions are the peaty Islays, Lagavulin and Laphroaig. I just love those two. When I want one of them, only they will do.

Cheers,

Ken

I like both Scotch and Bourbon and will drink one or the other depending on my mood. I think Bourbon gives you much more for your money, so my everyday pours tend to be Bourbon. My occasion pours are better bourbons such as Stagg, ER 17 or AH Hirsch or any one of a number of scotches.

Advanced Taster

Rob lately, all I've been drinking is bourbon, and I considered myself quite the scotch fan. I like all reagions, and each is very different. But bourbon is now my drink of choice. I have said before, I anticipate a bourbon trend (or explosion), and we will see a lot of scotch drinkers wooed over.

Connoisseur

I have said before, I anticipate a bourbon trend (or explosion), and we will see a lot of scotch drinkers wooed over.
    Which should knock the price through the roof.... Wonderful, thanks for the great news

Ken

Connoisseur

I agree with you. I like Irish, Scotch, American, and of course Bourbon. Lately I've been drinking more Bourbon than the others but sometimes I'm looking for things that Bourbon doesn't offer.

Since my new found appreciation for the strong flavors of American whiskey I most likely won't be drinking as much of the others but I'll never put either of them down for long.

Novice

A single malt, a single barrel, a good Irish whiskey (Connemara). Wonderful unabashed choices I feel fortunate to have at my disposal. These are all extraordinary opportunities for whisk(e)y lovers. Stick a quality cigar in my pie hole at the same time and I'm all that!