Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: What to buy in Kentucky

Chuck:

I think Binnys has the Eagle Rare 1.75 (in-store only no shipping). Their private barrel

Connoisseur

Hi Chuck,
    There is a bit of a bourbon shortage going on right now. Maybe this is another result.
    Is that a result of the HH fire, or a combination of increased demand & the fire?
    Bj

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

I'm not sure about HH, but even BT is having one(as evidenced by the canceling of both AAA and ER 101), and I was in Louisville about a week ago and didn't run across any Van Winkle (not even the 10yr) though I only visited about six stores.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The Heaven Hill fire was almost nine years ago at this point and the whiskey lost was a mix of everything from new make to mature, so it could be affecting the availability of stock nine years and older. The loss of the distillery itself didn't really affect production going forward because the industry had excess capacity and Heaven Hill resumed making whiskey immediately, albeit using other peoples stills. So, to the extent the Heaven Hill fire (or subsequent smaller fires at Turkey and Beam) factor into the current shortage, it is in a minor way. The main cause is stronger-than-expected demand in all markets, domestic and international. It is being felt most in the bulk market where people seeking to buy bulk whiskey of a certain age simply cannot find any available at any price. Today every distillery is operating at capacity and most are making the necessary capital improvements to expand capacity. In most cases, this means adding fermenter capacity. Most of the distilleries have excess distilling capacity but are limited by the number of fermenters they can set. There is no crisis, but there is a tightening in the availability of whiskey of certain ages, which is something the industry hasn't experienced for at least 40 years.

Taster

Ken,

If you go through Frankfort and stop by the Buffalo Trace giftshop you will be able buy both the ERSB 1.75 and the buffalo trace you are looking for.

Connoisseur

Ken,

If you go through Frankfort and stop by the Buffalo Trace giftshop you will be able buy both the ERSB 1.75 and the buffalo trace you are looking for.
    It's on our agenda. We get into Frankfort around 2pm Tuesday Then we're leaving for Bardstown (via Mammoth Cave) around 11 am. We have a tour at Mammoth at 2pm but they are Central time aren't they??? That's 4 hours. Is that enough time to get there??

Thanks!!

Ken

Enthusiast

I was just in Lexington Saturday and the Liquor Barn on Richmond Ave. has the ERSB 1.75 on sale for $44.95. BT was $17.95, I think.

I didn't buy it because earlier in my trip I had bought a 750 ml bottle in central Wisconsin for $18.79. Prices there are typically the best I've seen, and in the big grocery stores, selection is pretty good, too. I will be posting soon on two unusual bottom shelf ryes that I picked up there.

Jeff (longtime lurker and bourbon/rye drinker and homebrewer)

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I saw the ERSB 1.75 at Sam's here in Chicago over the weekend. It asked me to say hello to everyone.

Taster

Frankfort is in the eastern time zone. I believe the last tour begins at 2pm. Might be 3 during the week. It's on their website.

Guru

Yes, Mammmoth Cave is in the Central time zone (I was just there in July).

Tim