Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A sad sight...

Hybrid View

Virtuoso

A sad sight...

I took a swing by my nearby Binny's, and saw exactly one bottle of WTRR 101 - and a bunch of the [sarcasm]New! Improved![/sarcasm] 90 proof version.

Needless to say, the poor, lonely WTRR 101 bottle went home with me...

Connoisseur

Re: A sad sight...

Yeah the one-Oh-one has been gone for a while around here. I saw my first 90 about a week or so ago. Probably buy one some day but right now I'm saving my quarters for Kentucky in 2 weeks

Cheers,

Ken

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

In Louisville the 90 was already on the shelves at Derby time(this means early May for non-Louisvillians), some stores still had a little 101 then but it was soon gone.

Advanced Taster

So, what is the difference in taste? Have you done a side by side? I'm curious, but then I don't hold alchohol content as the defining criteria for flavor. For instance, and this is just me, I definately like the Old Grand Dad 114 over the BiB 100. But, I like the Pappy Van Winkle Lot B at 90 over (but just by a hair) the 107 15 year. Of course, I like the ORVW 107 is better than the 90. Go figure...

Connoisseur

So, what is the difference in taste? Have you done a side by side? I'm curious, but then I don't hold alchohol content as the defining criteria for flavor. For instance, and this is just me, I definately like the Old Grand Dad 114 over the BiB 100. But, I like the Pappy Van Winkle Lot B at 90 over (but just by a hair) the 107 15 year. Of course, I like the ORVW 107 is better than the 90. Go figure...
    Chaz, tastes vary and bottlings vary but, generically, I think the concept of desiring a higher proof has less to do with the amount of alcohol and more to do with how the addition of water to reduce the proof also dilutes the flavor components.

So, again, generically, a whiskey that has been reduced from 126 to 114 will have more flavor than the same whiskey reduced to 90 proof (and less than a cask strength offering).

Cheers,

Ken

Connoisseur

Of course, I suppose it's possible to have a 140 proof Bourbon reduced to 109 and be comparing that to a 120 proof being reduced to 101. Seems, all things being equal the latter would be more flavorful.

Ken

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

I actually have tried them side by side, and it seems to me that the higher proof version is much better balanced, with the richer flavors actually making it seem to be smoother(which I found quite funny when the neck tag on the 90 says that it is cut to proof to make it smooth).

Of course YMMV

Advanced Taster

I too have tried them side by side, and while there is some variation amongst the various high end WT whiskeys, it seems like the same taste profile is being used for the latest WTRR101 and the new WTRR90, the only difference being the proof. I found no real difference in flavor notes, only a difference in "largeness" and proof.

I personally like WTRR at 101 proof, so I've stocked up on the old version. People who don't like strong, flavorful whiskey may prefer the 90... and the packaging certainly looks very nice.

Up here in New England, we can get WTRR for $24.99 in the NH state stores, which is as low as I have seen up here. However, many of the high volume stores have converted over to new product. I do have a hunch as to a few places with old stock, so PM me if you need some shopping tips. I can certainly tell you what I know about the stores I've seen that have converted over to the new product, maybe saving you some time/gas.

Cheers,

-monte-

Guru

and the packaging certainly looks very nice.
    Now monte is the second or third person who has said that they thought this. Personally, I think the label is very cheap looking and unattractive. One thing I do appreciate though is that they did change the bottle so that you don't buy the 90 thinking you were getting the 101.

Guru

One thing I do appreciate though is that they did change the bottle so that you don't buy the 90 thinking you were getting the 101.
    Keeping the bottle but lowering the proof is an old Heaven Hill trick. Also, now, according to Chuck, they are keeping the same (lower proof) bottle and removing the age statements from the labels.
    Joe