Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A sad sight...

Guru

Re: A sad sight...

One thing I do appreciate though is that they did change the bottle so that you don't buy the 90 thinking you were getting the 101.
    Keeping the bottle but lowering the proof is an old Heaven Hill trick. Also, now, according to Chuck, they are keeping the same (lower proof) bottle and removing the age statements from the labels.
    Joe

Connoisseur

Up here in New England, we can get WTRR for $24.99 in the NH state stores, which is as low as I have seen up here.
    I think New Hampshire has the greatest website. They tell you the cost and the amount available in every store. Wow, that sure takes the work out of hunting Search of Russell's Reserve

On the down side, the selection looks pretty limited.

Advanced Taster

I think New Hampshire has the greatest website. They tell you the cost and the amount available in every store. Wow, that sure takes the work out of hunting
    It is a very nice web site and the reported stats are only very infrequently inaccurate. The problem with WTRR is that the old and new WTRR have the same SKU, so you can't tell which store has what by looking at their search, at least in this situation. You have to guess which are the high volume and low volume stores and shop at the latter if you want WTRR101.

On the down side, the selection looks pretty limited.
    Yep, no Van Winkle stuff, but they do get the Antique Collection once a year, usually in good quantities. Let's hope that's the case this year!!

Cheers,

-monte-

Connoisseur

Yep, no Van Winkle stuff, but they do get the Antique Collection once a year, usually in good quantities. Let's hope that's the case this year!!
    Wish that were true here....

Thanks

Ken

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

I've resisted posting this, but here goes....

There isn't anything Wild Turkey makes that I can't live without.

I guess this list could grow, depending on which labels get hosed by the bean counters and poll takers.

Connoisseur

That's too bad Bobby. I enjoy almost everything they make. Kentucky Spirit is one of my current favorites. It just has that nice full flavor I enjoy.

Well, that's why there's a wide variety to choose from, eh??

Ken

(And AMEN to the bean counter comment.)

Enthusiast

While I'm sorry to see RR being diluted, it doesn't upset me so much in a mid-level product. While I have a bottle of RR 101, and like it, when it's gone I will probably replace it with Rare Breed or Kentucky Spirit, and if I want something cheaper for casual consumption I'd get a bottle of the regular old Wild Turkey 101. At this point I'm sufficiently satisfied with the quality of WT products that I don't mind spending more for the really premium products, when I want something special.

Connoisseur

While I'm sorry to see RR being diluted, it doesn't upset me so much in a mid-level product. While I have a bottle of RR 101, and like it, when it's gone I will probably replace it with Rare Breed or Kentucky Spirit, and if I want something cheaper for casual consumption I'd get a bottle of the regular old Wild Turkey 101. At this point I'm sufficiently satisfied with the quality of WT products that I don't mind spending more for the really premium products, when I want something special.
    Agreed, I like Rare Breed and Kentucky Spirit better anyway but this is a trend I hate to see in the industry. Toward younger (with no age statements) and more diluted products. If they mess with KS and RB they may loose me forever (which would be a far larger loss to me than to them, I'm sure!)

..... Well, at least for new stuff, there are those 5 bottles of KS from '00 and '01 sitting in the bunker there to consider.....

Ken

Enthusiast

There isn't anything Wild Turkey makes that I can't live without.
    I disagree with respect to Kentucky Spirit, although Tina might agree with you.

Still, once upon a time in VA, I think RR 101 was a great deal at $22-24; I enjoyed it more than many of its similarly priced shelf-mates. Now it's $30 AND watered down. The price hike PLUS the concomitant proof-lowering really steamed me.

Guru

I also agree. I love Kentucky Spirit and Rare Breed, but it is because they are special. If they mess with the quality of these, they will lose me.

I bought several bottles of the Russell's Reserve at 101 proof over the years. I enjoyed it, but preferred Rare Breed for just a little more money. I will not be buying the 90-proof version.

WT 101 is pretty much my standard everyday pour. But if they cut the proof of it, they will lose me on that one, too.

Just keep messing with your products, Wild Turkey. Maybe you can lose all of your customers.

Tim