Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: BOTM, 9/05: Wild Turkey Rare Breed

Oh, I agree, it's great, just very surprizing. I've always enjoyed 101, KS & RB. Never really spent much time with RR101. I found about 10 bottles in NE Ohio (anyone here wants to know where, just let me know) so I thought I should try it before it's gone.

C'est la vie!

Ken

Guru

Okay, I opened my Christmas gift box of Rare Breed that was packed with two beautiful on-the-rocks glasses. The receipt was still with the package and I saw that I had bought it in November, 2003! I opened it especially for this BOTM tasting.

The bottling is the seemingly ubiquitous WT-01-99 of 108.4 proof. I washed the glasses that came with it, dried one of them, and had a small (about 30 ml) pour, neat.

I cannot understand what everyone is complaining about. The nose was caramelly and citrusy. In the taste, I detected that WT signature earthiness (like Kentucky Spirit and Russell's Reserve 101 exhibit so boldly), a nice clean corn taste (very like Henry McKenna SB BIB 10-yr), and powerful notes of caramel and citrus. To me, the flavors were almost as balanced as with Blanton's. And, for me, alcohol burn was barely noticeable. It was a wonderful pour.

The next time, I will try it on the rocks, which is the way I have most often enjoyed it in the past.

Tim

Taster

I've always been a big fan of Rare Breed and have found the '03 bottling superior to the '99 or '97 bottlings.

schlep

Apprentice

I have to agree with this. I have had several bottles that tasted, well, disfavorable at first sip, then later were top notch. Most notably, Elmer T. Lee single barrel, did not care for it at first and now it is one of my favorites. Working on some ancient ancient age as we speak...

Apprentice

W-T Rare breed has been our group's favorite sipping bourbon every month for the last 3 years glad some of you agree with us see you on my deck any old evening rick

Enthusiast

Not sure if this is the correct place to post but any word on what October's BOTM is? October is just a few hours away!!!

Connoisseur
    I absolutely adore the Rare Breed, especially when you compare it against other bourbons and take into account its price.

Novice

I have to admit I didn't care for the rare breed for about the first half of the bottle, after that it grew on me and I rather enjoyed the 2nd half. the high alcohol content burn went away and I could enjoy the flavor much more.

Guru

WTRB, one of my absolute favorites.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

I posted this in the newbie section and thought I would copy it here to get some more views. This is about batch 3 - 108 proof. First up was Wild Turkey Rare Breed. It is pretty good, a lot of flavor, which I like. I can taste the leather and some kind of grain - oatmeal? and a little citrus on the front - a little drier than I like - not too much caramel or brown sugar like the Antique or even GT Stagg. The one drawback is to me, the finish tastes like spearmint with a little cinnamon. It's reminiscent of a mint julep, which is ok once in awhile, but not something I want to taste everytime I have a bourbon. Has anyone ever noticed the mint in Wild Turkey?