Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Guru

Re: BOTM, 9/05: Wild Turkey Rare Breed

Roger,

By the way, what whiskey WILL be 100% of what Mr. Russell intended?
    Here's an old post of mine that touches on this point. I've never seen an adequate answer.

It just may be that management has transformed Mr. Russell's high standards into nothing but ad copy. I'd bet there's nothing he can do about that. I hope for his sake that no one asks him to autograph a bottle of 90 proof "Russell's Reserve".

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

I'm having the 01-99 bottling for the first time in several years. Initially I'm getting wood and alcohol heat on the nose. In the mouth its light caramel, spice and the wood carries through from the nose. As others have noted, the finish is somewhat hot and slightly bitter......not unpleasant though. Of the WT products, I love the Tribute and regulalrly drink the RR at my local pub. I'm not a big fan of RB or KY Spirit.....mostly because at their price points I enjoy many other bourbons much more.

Randy

Guru

I hope for his sake that no one asks him to autograph a bottle of 90 proof "Russell's Reserve".

Which is why I had him sign a RR 101 for me last year at our BF tour I guess. This was before the announced change so maybe I'm more psychic than spastic for once.

Enthusiast

You know, Dave, I find this all the time (I expect it's ONE reason I'll never be a professional taster).
    Much more fun to be an amateur anyway - a lot less pressure! We're with you!

I have never(?) had a Bourbon that, at least once during the bottle didn't taste just terrible.
    Interesting. I can't say I agree with the intensity of your statement, but I have certainly had experiences where a bourbon I generally like just doesn't grab me the way I expected. Conceptually, I've experienced the same phenomenon many times, just not as extreme.

One of the 'growth' things I've realized recently, I now take several days to decide what I think about a Bourbon.
    A point well taken. I will add that speaking of growth, this site has helped us tremendously in our tasting, and our tasting habits have changed a lot. The most significant thing that has changed is that before visiting this site in March 2004, probably 90% of my bourbon was enjoyed on ice. Now it's more like 15%. Therefore I wonder - most of my RB experiences previously were over ice. Could THIS be the culprit in my change in perception? Maybe, just maybe. Much like some bourbons mix well, I'm sure some improve with ice. Could RB be one of those? I think it might be for me. We might buy another bottle after all to test this out - but only if it's on sale!

Connoisseur

Interesting. I can't say I agree with the intensity of your statement, but I have certainly had experiences where a bourbon I generally like just doesn't grab me the way I expected. Conceptually, I've experienced the same phenomenon many times, just not as extreme.
    Okay "terrible" was too extreme, more what you said. Just not a good as it had been. This used to confuse me a lot until I took several days in a row with the same bottle. Now I see the shift and recognise it. One of the things I find with Kentucky Spirit is I seem to have fewer of those days... Also interesting....

Ken

After dabling in Single Malt and Blended Scotch for a few years, this was the first "premium" Bourbon I tried. The rest, as they say, is history. Bourbon now out numbers other whisky by four to one or more in my cabinet. I do enjoy Irish Whisky from time to time, but Scotch is now mostly for guests.

I cannot imagine not having WT RB on hand.

Enthusiast

I almost thought that with a handle like JimR we actually had Jimmy responding to this thread!

Disciple

I have two open bottles of Rare Breed, one is WT-01-99. The other was decanted from a cask at a department store liquor store. I don't know if that was in contact with the wood or not. Nor do I know if it was WT-01-99 or not. It didn't taste the same. Maybe it was WT-03RB. I couldn't find out from the people selling it. I looked at the information sheet that they had and didn't see anything. And today I bought my first bottle of WT-03RB. I had never seen it before so I was very happy to be able to buy a bottle for BOTM. I also picked up a bottle of RR 101. I also have a bottle of WT 101 8 year old and the 12 year old about the place. I should have a good time tasting and comparing these fine whiskies.
    Ed

Connoisseur

I have two open bottles of Rare Breed, one is WT-01-99. The other was decanted from a cask at a department store liquor store. I don't know if that was in contact with the wood or not. Nor do I know if it was WT-01-99 or not. It didn't taste the same. Maybe it was WT-03RB. I couldn't find out from the people selling it. I looked at the information sheet that they had and didn't see anything. And today I bought my first bottle of WT-03RB. I had never seen it before so I was very happy to be able to buy a bottle for BOTM. I also picked up a bottle of RR 101. I also have a bottle of WT 101 8 year old and the 12 year old about the place. I should have a good time tasting and comparing these fine whiskies.
    Ed
    I did just that last night. Had Arlene pour a 101, a Rare Breed and a Russell's Reserve 101 and a Kentucky Spirit. Lot's of similarities but some notable differences, mostly in the finish. Sorted them all out. The KS came in on top with RB, 101 and RR101. I was very surprized the RR101 came in behind the regular 101.... Odd. Oh well.

Ken

Disciple

I was very surprized the RR101 came in behind the regular 101.... Odd. Oh well.

I would have to say that is a Very Good Thing. The RR 101 is fast disappearing, but the regular 101 is here to stay.
    Ed