Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

WalMart / ASDA own brand Bourbon

I live in the UK where sadly a 700ml (a fifth) of Jim Beam costs around UKú15.75 or US$28, I usually stock up when travelling and I can purchase duty free. However, lately I have been drinking ASDA's (WalMart's) own brand "Kentucky Straight Bourbon" and I'm pleased to report that it is pretty good considering the price is about UKú8.68 or US$15.50 for 700ml. Does anyone know who makes this for ASDA (WalMart), I would assume that WalMart having such huge purchasing power would have struck a deal with one of the major distillers. Any information gratefully received.
    Moby

Guru

Re: WalMart / ASDA own brand Bourbon

Apparently, nobody has any idea how to answer your question, so they are talking smack about something else.

Tim

Taster

Apparently, nobody has any idea how to answer your question, so they are talking smack about something else.

Tim
    Good one!

Moby,

If I were a bettin' man, I'd wager that the Asda bourbon is a Diageo product. Check the link...

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

I'm not familar with Wal-mart selling a bourbon, but if you can send as much info as is on the label, I'll look into it and see what I can figure out.

A distillery # or bottler would help as well as any other info that may be on the label would help many of the members of this board at least make an educated guess

Enthusiast

This thread seems to have (appropriately) been split up. But I'd like to know just how many states allow spirits to be sold in stores such as Wal-Mart, drug stores, etc. I've spent some time in places with "state stores," but mostly in states with what I consider the "normal" arrangement; private liquor stores as the only place to get spirits, with beer and wine available in grocery and convenience stores.

Just how many places (in the US) can Wal-Mart sell its house brand?

Bob

Guru

Bob
    Not in Pennsylvania.
    Joe

Novice

Bob
    Not a direct answer to your question, but I remember reading this article a couple weeks ago and thinking that this can't be good for local liquor stores, or the liquor indusrty in general (but don't ask me why, I'm just skeptical about anything that Walmart does). Also, it appears that Walmart's biggest "partner" in the liquor business is Diageo, so I would assume any house brands would come from them. But does Diageo even own any bourbon brands anymore?

edit: removed copyrighted material from posting

Taster

But does Diageo even own any bourbon brands anymore?
    Well, Diageo's website only lists one bourbon brand in their "American Whiskey" category: Bulleit. However, I seem to remember past partnerships with Barton, or BF, or someone. I'll let one the "big dogs" take it from here...

Enthusiast

Stores such as Wal-mart can sell in Kentucky, but I have never specifically seen a Wal-mart sell anything but beer. Rite-Aids and many drug store type of places sell liquor here.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

I know in Louisville, KY they have to have a seperate entrance. For example, one store I know of has double sets of sliding power doors and in between them is a door to the liquor store. This makes sense because they can only sell liquor, wine and beer during certain hours (they used to not be able to sell liquor and wine on sunday, but that changed a month ago). Another store has a seperate entrance off the sidewalk next to the main entrance.

Now in Louisiana, there are few liquor stores because the groceries tend to have a pretty good selection, and there seem to be no restrictions on when they can sell. I particularly remember being thrilled to be able to go pick up some whiskey and beer on sunday to watch the NFL with.

I used to live in Phoenix, AZ and the liquor stores were definately seperate (and had a crappy selection of bourbon)