Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    623

    Heaven Hill Bourbon Story on NPR

    The show "All Things Considered" on National Public Radio had a story today about bourbon, specifically focusing on Heaven Hill. Parker Beam was interviewed. A nice story, and great publicity for Heaven Hill! You can listen to the story through this link:

    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4851551

  2. #2
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    138

    Re: Heaven Hill Bourbon Story on NPR

    that was a great listen, thanks for finding the link. Makes me really wish I was over there right now....in my next life ill be a jet setter.

  3. #3
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sherburne County, Minnesota
    Posts
    389

    Re: Heaven Hill Bourbon Story on NPR

    So when they say that 95% of the bourbon sold in the US comes from Kentucky, where does the other 5% come from? I don't know of any bourbon produced outside of KY, or are they choosing to include Jack Daniels (just like almost every retailer and bar out there does when I ask what bourbons they've got)?

  4. #4

    Re: Heaven Hill Bourbon Story on NPR

    ...I don't know of any bourbon produced outside of KY...
    A. Smith Bowman in Fredricksburg, VA still distills some of the content for its Virginia Gentleman bottlings. It is vatted with tankered distillate from Buffalo Trace, which is a long-time partner and now the distillery's owner. Bottling occurs in Virginia.

  5. #5
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sherburne County, Minnesota
    Posts
    389

    Re: Heaven Hill Bourbon Story on NPR

    I guess I forgot about that one, since I don't see it in stores here in MN. I'd be surprised, though, if that constituted 5% of the bourbon market!

  6. #6
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Frankfort, KY
    Posts
    499

    Re: Heaven Hill Bourbon Story on NPR

    Rest assured that Smith-Bowman does not constitute the other 5%. They are a small bourbon operation that only accounts for a fraction of a percent. I believe they said 95% just to convey that the overwhelming majority of bourbon comes from Kentucky. My best unofficial percentage is closer to 98%.

    Ken

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Heaven Hill 10 yr and Old Style Bourbon
    By brian12069 in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-04-2005, 17:07
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-15-2004, 09:01
  3. Heaven Hill Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
    By Pill_Man in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-11-2002, 23:11

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top