Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: everday bourbon

Apprentice

everday bourbon

As a newbee and someone who loves bourbon. May I ask what bourbon do you guys drink and why. I enjoy Makers Mark and knob creek when I can afford it.
    Thanks

Connoisseur

Re: everday bourbon

As a newbee and someone who loves bourbon. May I ask what bourbon do you guys drink and why. I enjoy Makers Mark and knob creek when I can afford it.
    Thanks
    Hi and welcome to the forum. There are several threads along this line already going (they take flight then fall off) so you will find a lot of good reading doing a few searchs.

That said, it really runs in cycles. For several years it was Rare Breed. That was about the only Bourbon I'd drink. Then one day (about 6 years ago) I had my first Blanton's. Wow, was that good. That opened the door for many years trying everything I could find. Right now, I have two favorites, depending on my mood. For most days, it's Kentucky Spirit, Wild Turkey's Single Barrel offering, it's bold but at the same time very civilized and easy to drink. On days that I want a bit more, it's Booker's. It hits the palate much harder but the intense flavors in there make it a most enjoyable pour, I'd never have guessed the proof was so high. I would imagine availability is a big issue for you, yes?

Cheers,

Ken

Connoisseur

. I would imagine availability is a big issue for you, yes?
    ... or are you closer to Atlana than I remembered??

Ken

Enthusiast

In order to keep this hobby somewhat close to a budget, I try to keep my everyday pours to Bourbon's that sell for less than $20. This is not much of a hardship, as there are quite a few excellent choices at this price. Elijah Craig 12, Old Grand Dad Bonded, Corner Creek, Jim Beam Black, Old Charter, Ancient Ancient Age, and a couple of the Wellers all fall in this range. I have posted a few bargains that I have found on sale lately that puts a few more in this category, most recently Elmer T Lee. There a couple that are even close to $10 that are tasty and worthy of drinking, Old Forester comes to mind, but I have yet to find a sub $10 Bourbon that I can drink regularly.

I collect and enjoy the more expensive items as well, but can't (won't more accurately)afford them as everyday pours, more like once a week.

Guru

I have over 75 bourbons in my collection right now. A lot of these are high end bottlings which I consume very gingerly. My everyday pours are the cheap and easy to find stuff like Heaven Hill (for mixing), Ezra Brooks, Evan Williams Black Label and Evan Williams 1783. All quite drinkable.
    Joe

Apprentice

I'm about 40 miles from downtown Atlanta. I work in Griffin which is 25 miles south of downtown Atlanta.
    Griffin is a little bigger than Bradstown which I visted three years ago. I wish I would have brought more that three bottles of buffalo trace back home. Can't get it in Georgia. There is not alot of choices in my small town.

Guru

Not an everyday pour but my standard pour is Weller Antique. I really like this a lot.

Connoisseur

In order to keep this hobby somewhat close to a budget, I try to keep my everyday pours to Bourbon's that sell for less than $20. This is not much of a hardship, as there are quite a few excellent choices at this price. Elijah Craig 12, Old Grand Dad Bonded, Corner Creek, Jim Beam Black, Old Charter, Ancient Ancient Age, and a couple of the Wellers all fall in this range. I have posted a few bargains that I have found on sale lately that puts a few more in this category, most recently Elmer T Lee. There a couple that are even close to $10 that are tasty and worthy of drinking, Old Forester comes to mind, but I have yet to find a sub $10 Bourbon that I can drink regularly.

I collect and enjoy the more expensive items as well, but can't (won't more accurately)afford them as everyday pours, more like once a week.
    Absolutely. It's a function of how much does a bottle cost, how much do you consume and how much do you have to spend (this discussion is 'neat' mixers are completely different). So if you have $50 a month to spend on Bourbon you can drink 1 Bookers or 1.5 Kentucky Spirits or 5 $10 bottles of Ten High??? Which fits your personal needs?? I also like some less expensive pours but very few of them are available here.

Ken

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

My current budget pours are Jim Beam White (with coke), Nelson County (A Heaven Hill product), Evan Williams Black Label and Elijah Craig 12yo. All are priced between $30 & $40 AU except Nelson County which is around $25 AU - as is Jim Beam White when it's on special...
    Once I hit the $40 -$60 price point, I start on Makers, Evan Williams Single Barrel, Bulleit and Wild Turkey Rare Breed.

Connoisseur

I don't seem to have an everyday pour. I seem to like a lot of different ones and I enjoy sampling as many as I can. I have a few that I always have in my collection: Bookers, Van Winkle, Weller, and I love Jack Daniel's and Gentleman Jack (I know...Jacks not bourbon)