Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Hybrid View

Enthusiast

Who Makes The Decisions With Such A Long Lead Time

I hope I'm able to get my question across so bear with me. I was looking at old postings and I came across this from Ken Weber at Buffalo Trace dated December 21, 2000:

"We have been experimenting with double cask bourbon, as well as aging in a second cask that once contained sherry. In response to a fellow bourbonian who asked if one of our bourbons was "oated", rather than "wheated", we will distill two new bourbons later this season using oats and rice. Give us about 8 to 10 years to get back to you on this one."

With there being such a long lead time before the finished product matures, is there one person responsible for the direction of the company regarding new products? If so, is that person replaceable? Hypothetically, could Buffalo Trace be bought out and then whoever is in charge then say that the oat and rice bourbon is not something they want to do and squash the project? Just curious.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Who Makes The Decisions With Such A Long Lead Time

And another good question is, If they are doing this as an experiment, do they keep doing small batches every year in case it works out?

Enthusiast

Re: Who Makes The Decisions With Such A Long Lead

Good point! So in 2011, if the oat and rice bourbon is no good, are they stuck with 10 years worth?