Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Bernheim Straight Wheat Whiskey opinions?

I like this as well - though I agree that a bit more aging might make it a bit more interesting. I find it very pleasant, but not very complex.

Craig

Advanced Taster

Is there any info on this on Heaven Hill's website? I can't seem to find a thing.

Virtuoso

I just picked up a bottle today (one of two on the shelf), and just opened it now. Very nice, even if it's a bit on the pricy side. I'd agree that it's not the most complex pour around, but it's very pleasant to drink.

I'd be interested to see if they squirrelled away some barrels for extra aging, too...

EDIT:
    I'm following it up now with a wheated bourbon (Old Weller 7/107) for contrast. The Weller, aside from being darker, has a heavier body to it, and a bit more prickle on the tongue (probably the higher ABV). There's some similarity between the two, but the bourbon's higher corn content and extra aging are also apparent.

I must say, the Weller is fine stuff, too!

Connoisseur

I picked up a bottle of this when I was in Cincinnati a couple of weeks ago. Man, I really like it! As others have said it's not the most complex bouquet, but the taste is really quite different from a wheated bourbon. I find it sweeter and lighter than Weller or Van Winkle. I agree it would be interesting to taste some that aged longer. But I heartily endorse this whiskey, and I hope it turns up on California shelves.

Connoisseur

I tried this tonight. I have to say, I enjoyed it. It is on the sweeter lighter side, especially for 90 proof.

Guru

I like this... a lot! I find the taste light and an interesting change from my typical bourbon. Very drinkable. I hope they made more because I believe this will get better with a little more time in the barrel.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Bernheim Wheat is not a one-off, but is a product they intend to keep making. They have held some barrels back for additional aging, but there is no telling if or when they will be released.

Connoisseur

I agree, I would like to try this aged.

Advanced Taster

I am half way through my first bottle, and I thoroughly enjoy it. Yeah, I'm not too keen on the $40.00 price tag, but, I think it may just be worth it. I don't think it was at all too sweet. Highly recommended.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

A number of people have mentioned the price. I can tell you that Heaven Hill thought long and hard about that. They concluded that some of their past products (e.g., Elijah Craig 12-year-old, Evan Williams Single Barrel) probably have been underpriced and they wanted to see if this product could support a higher price point.

As a consumer, I like low prices, but as an enthusiast I recognize that the higher price point, if we pay it, encourages companies to take chances on other new, original products.