Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Advanced Taster

Re: Bernheim Straight Wheat Whiskey opinions?

It may be able to support the higher price initially, but once us bourbon nuts have a bottle or two, will the mass-market continue to support the price?

It's like cars. Introduce a new model and people are willing to pay over sticker for the first couple months, then a year or two down the road, there are all kinds of rebates and incentives.

IMHO, this is about a $30-$35 product. I, like many others, are willing to pay $40 because it is the first of its kind, but I won't continue to buy it at $40 for very long. There are too many other great bourbons under $40, EWSB included.

But, ok, HH, raise EC 12 and/or EWSB $0.50 or $1 and I bet most people will continue to buy them. The volume of those products coupled with a modest price increase might just make up for a lower margin of Bernheim Original.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

I know if it was available Downunder, I'd buy my first bottle no matter what the price.
    If it was too expensive ($100+), I'd sit on the bottle and only pour a shot every now and then.
    If it was priced somewhere between Evan Williams SB ($45) and Bookers ($90), I'd probably buy multiple bottles if I really liked the taste and consume it more frequently.
    Unfortunately this is academic for me, because I doubt we'll see it in our market anytime soon

Connoisseur

I enjoyed it, but it should be $29.99 at most.

Connoisseur

I agree, I bought it because it was new and novel and, while I enjoy it, I am unlikely to continue buying it at ~$40.
    Craig

Connoisseur

I agree, mid-30s seems reasonable, while above $40 is pushing it.

I have to say, I really like this stuff "on the rocks", or with just one cube of ice, and not nearly as much neat. It tastes rather thin and uncomplex when neat, but over ice it's incredibly refreshing...I could see it as a great drink on a warm summer evening.

Advanced Taster

I opened a bottle of this and found it very drinkable. Soft and just sweet enough. I echo the sentiment of wanting to try this again if/when stocks of more advanced age are bottled. It's not available to me locally in Seattle so I doubt it will be a regular purchase, but it's good enough that I could happily pour it fairly often.

Advanced Taster

Well, now that everyone is stuck on price, I truly believe it's worth the $40.00.Maybe that's my scotch background coming through, where for a scotch of comparable value and quality would easily set you back $65-75.00. I like it a lot;
    when I mentioned the price, it was because I can see myself buying it a lot, so $10.00 would be mighty fine. Oh, yeah. But for my wheatie fix, Weller Antique does an admirable job, at $25.00 (1 ltr). But I do enjoy the Bernheim.

Virtuoso

I'd say that the Bernheim Straight Wheat is just worth it - but if the cost was any higher, I wouldn't buy it. I wouldn't mind seeing it for a few bucks less, though.

Then again, given the jumps in Scotch prices over the last year (I haven't bought Lagavulin in over a year because of that), it isn't all that bad a price for a relatively limited-production item.

I'll agree on the Weller Antique, too - it's a great bang-for-the-buck pour when I want a wheater.

Apprentice

Bernheim is $39.99 every day here in Doo Dah. I like it. It is truely unique. I like to set it side by side with a rye, like Hirsch or Sazerac, just for contrast. But I've got to agree on the price. It's mighty difficult to pick this $40 bottle when it sits next to an Eagle Rare 17 or a Stagg for only a few dollars more, or even an Evan Williams Single Barrel for quite a few dollars less...

Neh, I like it. I think I'll have to keep some on the shelf.

Can't wait 'til the older stuff is released though. This could definately use another 5 years in the oak.
    DahlRod