Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Christmas packaging

Quite possibly the costs are written off as promotional expenses. Many if not most are bought to give to someone else---a way to get the product into the hands of someone who may not buy it themselves.

Advanced Taster

Ken,with the cost breakdown you have graciously provided, I am a little more impressed at those gift sets since here in Colorado,they always retail at the same price as those without. I always seek out the gift sets because of the added value; that means sometimes buying when I don't need too. And that could just be why other distillers do it. I will say, while I enjoy Bombay Sapphire, it's not my favorite. But I will usually by their gift sets because of the martini glasses they provide. Don't get me wrong; if a really nasty bottom shelfer had a set of cool glasses, I probably still wouldn't buy. On the other hand, if I purchased a 1.75ltr of Buffalo Trace yesterday, and noticed today a gift set came out, you guessed it, I'd have TWO new bottles on my shelf. As a retail business owner, I could also see the gift sets as a way of thanking the store owners, as it would spur additional holiday sales, adding to their bottom line, which in turn should make them more appriciative of the distillery and their distributor.

I don't remember, but someone is doing a combo flask/cigar holder.
    Today I saw a Cutty Sark gift set with cigar holder and a cigar shaped flask.

Glenlivet gift sets were also plentiful.

Connoisseur

Ken--don't waste your company's time and money. The whole idea behind a holiday package is twofold: 1. to win over new customers and 2. to reward your brand-loyal faithful.

Let's look at these one at a time:

1. You already have a demand greater than supply (at least at this point). You aren't looking to win people over whom you can't supply.

2. Your brand-loyal (people like yours-truly) don't need some cheap coaster to buy your product.

My advice? Keep churning out your awesome product and don't compromise. Don't follow the way of Maker's Mark and chip away at your quality as a byproduct of marketing.

Enthusiast

Wild Turkey 101 gift set at Rite-Aid for 12.99 until 11/17. Needless to say I purchased one and will probably purchase another as 12.99 is a damn good price with or without glasses.

I liked the glasses better when they did the Rare Breed package. Those were very nice quality.

Ken
    Were those the one's with the glasses that looked like barrels? I saw some of those today : Bottle of Rare Breed, two barrel shaped glasses and a nice wood/plexiglass box. They've either been issued again this year or our distributor had some left over. Very nice gift set IMO.

Connoisseur

I doubt we are talking about the same glasses. Tim posted this photo a while back. It's the one on the right:

Rare Breed glasses

They are very heavy and the taper is about perfect (for me anyway)

I'll keep an eye out for the ones you saw.

Ken

Yes, they are definitely different from those glasses. The one's I saw are basically tumblers that look like barrels. Maybe it is the new set for this year.

Guru

Ken,

After some years in the glass business the figures that you quote are not only accurate but the main reason that these gift packs are now considered a marketing ploy that you as the producer decide to do in spite of the cost. The lead time is huge and the margin low. That being said I will still be keeping my eyes open this year for the bargains that are always there.

Administrator in exile

There is a very nice packaging of EWSB 1995 with one lowball glass and a silver "flip jigger", which is a decorative jigger that balances in the rim of the glass and you "flip" the contents into the glass. I bought one of these at the HH Visitor's Center last year and I think I paid $8-10 for it. The cost of the boxed set is the same as the bottle price.