Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: How Many Drinks Do You Consume A Week?

I tend to have one 1oz. shot of bourbon or scotch (usually bourbon) a night (never more during the work week). On weekends I sometimes indulge and have two such shots. I don't drink beer or wine.

Enthusiast

4-5 drinks a night. Pretty much every night

Disciple

Hi Bamber,
    I, too, drink more that others who have posted here. I don't really know how many drinks a week. (I take that to mean how many 12 oz. beer equivalents) Tonight I had a beer with friends after work, a less than 12 oz. beer, and then a three fluid oz. pour of 90 proof ORVW 10 year old. That would be a little more than two cans of beer for a total of three beer equivalents. That is a light night of drinking for me.
    Ed

Taster

Should've mentioned in my previous post that I use the standard "DMV measurement" as a typical serving: “One drink” is a 1 ˝-ounce shot of 80-proof liquor (even if mixed with non-alcoholic drinks), a 5-ounce glass of 12% wine, or a 12-ounce glass of 5% beer.

Advanced Taster

I drink whisk(e)y 3-4 nights a week.

The evenings where I have training, I drink water and go to bed. I'm too tired and dehydrated to enjoy alcohol.

On non-training days and the weekend, I typically have 1-2 per evening. These are about 2 oz pours of whatever I'm in the mood for, usually in the evening hours after dinner. I rarely drink on an empty stomach.

Apprentice

I have to admit it's not just the taste of bourbon but the slight buzz I get from the two or three bourbons on the rocks I enjoy just about every night. I'm on call about five nights a month for my Dept. and of course I have to refrain from my favorite past time.

Enthusiast

I would say I average 2-3 drinks per night, usually a few more on the weekend (maybe 5 or 6), but that is because I typically have a few drinks in the afternoon on weekends, whereas on weekdays I don't get home from work until 6:00 or so. I rarely am drunk, but would categorize myself as "mildly buzzed" quite often.

To quote an old cliche, if this is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Virtuoso

My typical night features two 50-60 ml pours, although the proof varies, and I sometimes go with one or three. 50 ml fills a Glencairn at or just above its widest point.

Occasionally I'll have four, and once in a very great while I'll quite purposely get snockered.

Other than a rare beer with lunch or dinner, I normally don't drink before 6 PM.

Oddly, I find it easier to get drunk with 80-proof whiskies; something like Stagg has to be very slowly sipped and savored, and that tends to put on the brakes on the Plastered Express.

Advanced Taster

I'm also curious about "when" you have a drink (Jeff's dialog was great!). As I said, I generally have a drink around 9-9:30 and finish around 10:30. On nice evenings, when we sit out in the yard, I'll also have a finger of Wild Turkey in a 16 oz tumbler of water and ice.

Enjoy!!

Ken
    I do most of my drinkning between 8:00pm and 9:30pm. I have an early schedule (up at 4:00am) that I can't break out of on the weekends, so I'm usually in bed by 9:30 or when I feeling really wild, 10:00. I generally wait until the kiddies are in bed so I can take my time and enjoy it instead of gulping.

Jay

Connoisseur

Oddly, I find it easier to get drunk with 80-proof whiskies; something like Stagg has to be very slowly sipped and savored, and that tends to put on the brakes on the Plastered Express.
    CC - That makes perfect sense for exactly the reason you cite. The only two times I've had a serious bender in the last year were on a sweet blush wine and these killer Margarita's I made one evening. Both were just delicious with none of the high proof warning signs. They said 'drink me fast and just keep going'. Wrong decision

The high proof and the very intensly flavored bourbon's get sipped very slowly and yield a gentle buzz. Nice!

Ken