Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Zombie

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

The Zombie

A little while back I promised to repeat here Frederick Martin's entry on this drink from his Encyclopedia on Drinks and Drinking. The quote reveals when the book was written.

The full entry:

"The 'Z' section of an alphabetical book is always a bit short of material. I take this recipe from 'Shaking in the Sixties' (and "seventies"?) by Eddie Clarke, one time famous bartender and now proprietor of the splendid Albemarle Club in London's West End. [I wonder if said establishment still exists]. Three-quarters measure each of unsweetened pineapple juice, canned papaya juice; apricot brandy and powdered sugar; juice of a large lime; measure of heavy dark rum (90 proof); 2 measures of dark rum. Shake well with cracked ice and pour entire contents into a tall frosted 'Zombie' glass (you will have one, of course). Fill with ice. Decorate with mint, cube of pineapple and cherry on a stick. Float on top dash of 150 proof tropical rum (I do not know where you find that). [This gentleman's wide experience of life unaccountably has omitted Sam's or Binnie's]; sprinkle powdered sugar on top and serve with straws".

Now that is a flamboyant drink. Bring on the palm trees and ... never mind. If any straightbourbonite is minded to try this I will be interested in his taste reaction. Feel free to substitute ingredients. After all, there IS mint in this drink.

Gary

The Boss

Re: The Zombie

We used to drink these regularly back in the early 80's Gary. It's been awhile since I've talked to a bartender who new what one was

Well, we'll need to make these at home. That 90 proof rum is actually more like 100 U.S. proof since Martin would have meant Sykes proof. The drink must have been pretty potent.

I propose a new cocktail: the same as described by Martin but replacing the rums with equivalent-proof bourbons. The regular "dark rum" can be, say Wild Turkey. His 90 Sykes proof rum can be, say, Knob Creek or FRSB or anyone's BIB. And the bourbon to float on the top can (must!) be George Stagg.

I solicit suggestions for the name of this drink which I propose should honor the founder and supporter of this fine site. The honor of naming the drink will go to he (or she) who first makes it and offers taste notes here. (Suggestions: The Big Jim; the Butlerizer; the SB Squared. But whomever first makes the drink and reports on it deserves the honor of naming it).

Who will be the first to make a [name to be determined] and offer us taste notes?

I'd do it but I don't have any Stagg or apricot brandy.

If anyone does this, hard as it may seem, please follow Martin's directions otherwise, first, for residual Zombie authenticity but also because the drink sounds good made that way.

I await the first taste notes of what will be a stunning drink I am sure!

Gary

Well, I don't have all the ingredients (yet) to try this, but keeping in the 'it's-October-think-Hallowe'en'/Zombie theme, I suggest the name "Bour-bone-ian".

The decision will be his or hers who first makes this drink.

Another suggestion: the Butler Bomb.

Gary

Guru

Gary the most widely distributed high proof rum is Bacardi's 151 proof which is widely used here for flaming drinks (at least it used to be). Binnys has it for 21.99 and Sam's for 22.99.

The drink I use it most for is what I call the "Throat Lozenge" which is a half ounce each of white creme de menthe, peppermint schnapps and 151 rum. I call it that because it reminds me of one. However, I first heard of this concoction in Playboy years ago in an article about college town bar's specialty drinks and it was at that time called a "flying f***" which would be inappropriate for publication on this forum. You can light it due to the 151 rum which I mistakenly did once (the only time since it started growing that I have been sans mustache).

More evidence of the expertise on this site, indeed the daring, to put together this complex drink for Jim.

But ours must eschew all rum in favor of our raison d'etre, bourbon!

Gary

Guru

Gary,

Given our assignment to create and name a bourbon-based analog to the Zombie, the link below may be of no more than peripheral interest.

If memory serves, this is the high-proof rum that was listed in the recipe I had many years ago. I know the "Demerara" part is right, anyway.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Guru

Well, HazMat Stagg would add the flame effect but I cringe at the thought of adding the Peppermint Schnapps and white creme de menthe....

Maybe concoct a Halloween special: The Flaming Caramel Apple Pie
    half ounce 02 Stagg, half ounce Apple pucker, half ounce Hot Damn Cinnamon Schnapps, and a pinch of brown sugar. Stir with a cinnamon stick stuck into a Kraft caramel.

I ain't gonna taste it, you taste it...
    I'm not gonna taste it..
    Let's get Gary!
    Yeah, Gary'll drink ANYTHING.....
    (This of course a play on the old Life cereal Mikey commercial)

Yes, Dave that would qualify but not for the drink we are vowed (I trust) to create. We must set our sights solely on creating a bourbon Zombie, using the Frederick Martin/shakin' 60's recipe except for substitution of bourbon for rum spirit! Let's keep our eye on the ball, high ball that is, a bourbon Zombie killer of a drink as I conceive it!

Today I made a point to pass by our Ontario Liquor store and saw a good apricot brandy I will buy if I need to. It is made by Bols of Holland and uses real cognac. Should no one take up the challenge I have laid down - but I hope we have men here of stern stuff who won't shrink from their duty - I shall make the cocktail myself and name it. But I foresee that a stout member of our tribe - a true trustee of our group - will come forward to create this libation for our leader, for all of us. I stand by awaiting the entry of this person onto the field of bourbonic and fraternal honor.

Gary