Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: BOTM, 10/05: Buffalo Trace

When someone selects their own personal barrel, we take the samples out of the barrel as they are standing there. We allow them to taste the bourbon uncut and then cut to about 60 proof. Once the barrel is selected from among the other candidates, we try to process, bottle, and ship within 4 - 5 weeks.

Ken

Taster

However, I must admit that Elmer was the one who choose the flavor profile for both bourbons. I have to admit they have a flavor profile that is not too far apart.

Ken
    While my utterly poor "review" of George T Stagg is not in my favour, I must disagree. Although similar, but that minty, ethereal character of BT, with more rye input both on the nose and on the palate, I think I wouldn't have that big of a problem separating the two at a blind tasting.

By the way, I recently saw a European webshop sell GTS 65,9% for 155 Euros (US $ 187). Too steep for me!

Taster

I am a huge fan of BT because of its versatility. Very tough to beat at its price point and much better than some substanitally higher priced bourbons. I almost exclusively enjoy it neat, although IMHO, BT makes the best manhattan, hands down. Like others on this forum, three visits to the distillery has added to my appreciation of this fine pour. Great choice for BOTM!

schlep

Connoisseur

The first few times I tried Buffalo Trace I really enjoyed it. I'm going back to the bottle after some time due to the BOTM thread here. It seems a little flatter than I remember which could be due to one of two things:
    1. My bottle is 3/4 empty so my it's has seen a little too much air.
    2. I've had Stagg a few times this week and that taste is over powering the poor ole BT.

Either way I still like it a great deal and look forward to opening another bottle to see if air was the issue.

Taster

Heya,

I'd never dream of making a Manhattan with a BT, but otherwise, what are the price ranges you are talking about? With a JB White, sure...

Taster

On sale, BT goes for $28.99 for a 1.75 L around here. Not cheap, but then I don't drink manhattans that often.

schlep

I was surprised tonight to find a few drops of water lengthened the finish and enhanced the mouth feel of both the standard and single-barrel Buffalo Trace bottlings I have. Just a few drops, though -- not real dilution.
    This strikes me as a candidate for 'everyday bourbon' for those who don't want to try something different every day (like I'm afraid I do !). The rich vanilla nose and entry make it utterly approachable, while the soft warmth and smooth-textured, medium finish is absolutely pleasant, with no countering offensive notes.
    There's no real complexity there, but for under $20, uniform pleasantness is quite an accomplishment.

Enthusiast

On sale, BT goes for $28.99 for a 1.75 L around here. Not cheap, but then I don't drink manhattans that often.
    Where is "around here," my good man? That sounds cheap to me.

I'm off to Cincinnati Monday (not far from SE IN) to pick up my elderly mother for a visit up here. (9 hr RT)

I DO drink Manhattans! Besides, BT is great straight.

Jeff

Enthusiast

Doesn't anyone else taste the caramel in this stuff?

This is my alltime favorite sub $20 pour.

Connoisseur

I agree that BT's enthusiasm towards their customers really makes me appreciate all that they are doing for Bourbon. Not to mention that they make some of the best Whisk(e)y that I've ever been privileged to sample.