Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Straight Bourbon

This would be about 43% abv or 86 U.S. proof. I always wonder, who decides such things? Who decides that a product for the Aussie market should be any specific proof, for example? Why that number? What are the factors that go into making the decision? Who at Heaven Hill makes the call...?

Gary

Connoisseur

The advantage is that these low proof products can be sold in more places and during hours when the state stores are not open.
    Thanks for all the replies. My follow-up question would then be : who buys these products? What audience or strata of society are they aimed at? Is it mainly youngsters?

The reason I ask is because we donīt have anything like this over here. In Sweden whiskey has always been regarded as a, sort of, "manly" product. Yearning for diluted versions would somehow mark you as a sissy.

Connoisseur

The advantage is that these low proof products can be sold in more places and during hours when the state stores are not open.
    Thanks for all the replies. My follow-up question would then be : who buys these products? What audience or strata of society are they aimed at? Is it mainly youngsters?

The reason I ask is because we donīt have anything like this over here. In Sweden whiskey has always been regarded as a, sort of, "manly" product. Yearning for diluted versions would somehow mark you as a sissy.
    Typically both ends of the age spectrum. The young who aren't well versed in handling higher proofs and older (mostly women) who don't want to be seen going into liquor stores. There are also those (primarily non drinkers) who want something for cooking.

As an aside, when I was growing up in Ohio, we had 2 different drinking ages. 18-21 you could buy low proof beer (3.2%). Over 21 you could buy anything.

Second aside, my very first bottle was Wild Turkey Rye I bought at age 16. I still feel the pain!

Ken

Connoisseur

As an aside, when I was growing up in Ohio, we had 2 different drinking ages. 18-21 you could buy low proof beer (3.2%). Over 21 you could buy anything.

This is actually quite similar to Swedish regulations. 18-20 = low proof beer. 20 and over = anything.