Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Connoisseur

Margarita recipe?

Does anyone have a particularly good Margarita recipe to share? I have had some very good ones in restaurants, but never been able to duplicate them at home. I've tried lots of variations: Cointreu, triple sec, fresh lime juice, good tequila, but about the best I've done is the frozen Bacardi mix. Any suggestions?
    Craig

Enthusiast

Re: Margarita recipe?

Does anyone have a particularly good Margarita recipe to share? I have had some very good ones in restaurants, but never been able to duplicate them at home. I've tried lots of variations: Cointreu, triple sec, fresh lime juice, good tequila, but about the best I've done is the frozen Bacardi mix. Any suggestions?
    Craig
    My wife and I like them drier than ones you get in restaurants or with mixes. Here is my standard:

2 oz. tequilla*
    1 oz. triple sec or Cointreau**
    1 oz. fresh lime juice

Margarita glass rimmed with lime and dipped in coarse salt

Shake ingredients hard 30-45 seconds with 6-8 ice cubes, strain into glass, add melted and broken remains of ice cubes. (This is a kind of cross between a frozen margarita on one served "up.")

Garnish with lime slice.

* We use Sauza tequilla for ordinary margaritas, Sauza Hornitos for special ones

**Again, good triple sec for ordinary ones (I use Stock, which seems somewhat better than domestic, sticky sweet ones), and Cointreau for special occasions.

I generally prefer a Manhattan, but make these for my wife, or did before she became a successful WeightWatcher a year ago).

Jeff

Administrator in exile

Jeff,

That is the exact same recipe Leslie and I use , Suaza and all, and it is the best we've ever tasted

Taster

That is the best, but every now and then if limes are bitter add a little simple sryup. i like reposado .

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The standard bar/restaurant margarita recipe these days seems to be as follows:

Pour over ice:
    1 part tequila
    1/2 part triple sec
    fill with sour mix
    top with a squeeze of fresh lime.

This is the way I make them now too. That's a rocks margarita, obviously, and I usually forgo salt. Everyone's taste is different, but I like this formula.

Connoisseur
    A good friend of mine works a high end Southwestern restaurant in Boulder and there they serve a "Coin Style Margarita", this may be a common term but it was new to me. It was a top shelf blanco tequila, contrieau, and a healthy squeeze of fresh lime juice. 3 parts tequila to 1 part contrieau. No sugar. Served in a small highball glass partially rimmed with salt, a short straw and garnished by lime wedge. It was definately my favorite margarita. It really makes the tequila the star.

The way I drink a marg at home, which isn't technically a marg is, rocks glass full of good 100% agave blanco and ice and finished with the juice a half a lime.

Another marg I've made at home is a Mango Margarita. Two Mango's chopped and pureed in a blender. The juice of 1-3 limes (depending on taste), a quarter cup of superfine sugar (mixed with lime juice), 3/4 cup of good tequila, and a shot of Grand Marnier, puree all in a blender. Serve on crushed ice or toss some in the blender to make a frozen cocktail. Very good!

Upon reading many of these posts, it seems like there are a few fans of mixes out there. I for one can't drink them. A couple of years ago I started to buy limes, squeeze 'em and mix in superfine sugar or simple syrup to taste. It blows every mix I've ever had out of the water!!!! It's worth a try, but if you're in a hurry or making a very large amount, I would say the mix will do.
    Last edited by TimmyBoston; 08-22-2006 at 02:06.
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Guru
    1 1/2 oz. Hornitos Tequila
    3/4 oz. Triple Sec
    2 oz. Roses Lime Juice
    Ice
    Throw it all in a blender and reduce to a slush. Place in a salt rimmed marg. glass...........Delicious.
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Disciple

2 oz. tequilla*
    1 oz. triple sec or Cointreau**
    1 oz. fresh lime juice

Margarita glass rimmed with lime and dipped in coarse salt

Shake ingredients hard 30-45 seconds with 6-8 ice cubes, strain into glass, add melted and broken remains of ice cubes. (This is a kind of cross between a frozen margarita on one served "up.")

Garnish with lime slice.

* We use Sauza tequilla for ordinary margaritas, Sauza Hornitos for special ones

**Again, good triple sec for ordinary ones (I use Stock, which seems somewhat better than domestic, sticky sweet ones), and Cointreau for special occasions.

I tried this and enjoyed it a lot. I used a silver Tequila called Scorpion and Cointreau. I couldn't find any triple sec in the shop I was in at the time. The Cointreau wasn't too expensive, about $15 US the Tequila was less than twenty. Actually the most expensive componant was the Lime. Nearly a buck fifty each. And they were little. I got about 40 ml out of one lime.

Apprentice

I believe Scorpion is actually Mescal. Not saying that is necessarily a bad thing, just pointing it out.

As far as a tequila to use, it's a matter of taste of course, but I'd recommend trying Herradura Silver in your margarita. I think this is a great silver with enough kick to stand up to the lime, plus it is reasonbly priced. For something a little cheaper, 1800 Silver also makes a decent margarita.

BTW, $15 for Cointreau is a steal - I have never seen it lower than around $27 or so, and most places it's in the losw $30s.

Disciple

BTW, it is Tequila, says so on the bottle. I have seen Scorpion Vodka, flavored and unflavored, Gin and Rum on the shelves. I haven't seen the Mescal. I plan to buy the Herradura Silver soon as I am almost out of the Scorpion.

I either get things much cheaper here in Japan than elsewhere or I have to pay throught the nose.
    Ed