Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Margarita recipe?

Does anyone have a particularly good Margarita recipe to share? I have had some very good ones in restaurants, but never been able to duplicate them at home. I've tried lots of variations: Cointreu, triple sec, fresh lime juice, good tequila, but about the best I've done is the frozen Bacardi mix. Any suggestions?
    Craig

Enthusiast

Re: Margarita recipe?

Does anyone have a particularly good Margarita recipe to share? I have had some very good ones in restaurants, but never been able to duplicate them at home. I've tried lots of variations: Cointreu, triple sec, fresh lime juice, good tequila, but about the best I've done is the frozen Bacardi mix. Any suggestions?
    Craig
    My wife and I like them drier than ones you get in restaurants or with mixes. Here is my standard:

2 oz. tequilla*
    1 oz. triple sec or Cointreau**
    1 oz. fresh lime juice

Margarita glass rimmed with lime and dipped in coarse salt

Shake ingredients hard 30-45 seconds with 6-8 ice cubes, strain into glass, add melted and broken remains of ice cubes. (This is a kind of cross between a frozen margarita on one served "up.")

Garnish with lime slice.

* We use Sauza tequilla for ordinary margaritas, Sauza Hornitos for special ones

**Again, good triple sec for ordinary ones (I use Stock, which seems somewhat better than domestic, sticky sweet ones), and Cointreau for special occasions.

I generally prefer a Manhattan, but make these for my wife, or did before she became a successful WeightWatcher a year ago).

Jeff

Administrator in exile

Jeff,

That is the exact same recipe Leslie and I use , Suaza and all, and it is the best we've ever tasted

Guru

I think it is basically the fault of the restaurants for trying to come up with candy-like margaritas that they can sell for $10 instead of the better, but not as flashy, standard margaritas that they can onlt get $5 or so for.

Anyway, I've never had any problem with the standard recipe that you find on the label of most any decent tequila. IMHO, it should just be tequila, lime (fresh, only), triple sec, and a salted rim. Made like a cocktail, served like a cocktail. Good.

Tim

Connoisseur

I've wondered if that was the case. But of course they fooled me. It has always seemed to me that my proportions were off - too much lime juice, or too much triple sec - resulting in something more sour or sweet than tangy. I will try the ratios suggested here and see if I do any better. On the other hand, the frozen Bacardi mix isn't bad. Just not as satisfying as working from scratch.
    Craig

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

That's the same basic recipe used by everyone wanting a straightforward margarita. If its too sour for you or your guests.....add a small amount of simple bar syrup.....or about 1/2 oz of orange juice. This simple recipe also allows the flavors of better tequilas to shine thru....I use Heradura reposado in mine, if I have it.

Randy

Connoisseur

Mine is similar, I use a mix of reposado and blanco Tequila, fresh lime, fresh orange and grand marnier. Equal parts of each. Very nice (and oh so WAY better than any mix!). I do salt the rim of some two tone margarita glasses. (Similar to these)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Enthusiast

Some bartenders sneak in a little 7up or Sprite to sweeten it
    just a touch... the lemon/lime flavor in there also adds a little
    complexity to the straight lime juice. If I had to guess, I'd say
    the frozen Bacardi mix does something similar.

Tim Dellinger

Taster

That is the best, but every now and then if limes are bitter add a little simple sryup. i like reposado .

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The standard bar/restaurant margarita recipe these days seems to be as follows:

Pour over ice:
    1 part tequila
    1/2 part triple sec
    fill with sour mix
    top with a squeeze of fresh lime.

This is the way I make them now too. That's a rocks margarita, obviously, and I usually forgo salt. Everyone's taste is different, but I like this formula.