Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    I have been perfecting my personal margarita recipe during the heat wave. It is as follows:

Fill a tall (12 oz.) glass with ice cubes.

Add 2 shots Sauza Hornitos Tequila, 1 shot of triple sec, and fill with Mr. & Mrs. T Sweet and Sour Mix. Stir.

I have not been using the squeeze of fresh lime, but probably will the next time I make one.

Advanced Taster
    I gleaned this recipe from a waitress from a well known Mexican food restaurant in the St. Louis area. It has been adjusted for using one bottle of tequila. They used 5 bottles of tequila for a batch. I have used this recipe for several years and it goes over real well.

MARGARITA, BEST IN THE WORLD

Recipe By :BJ
    Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Drinks

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3 1/2 Cups Tequila [Your Favorite], One 750 Ml Bottle
    1 1/2 Cups Triple Sec
    3/4 Cup Lemon Juice
    2 Liters 7-Up®
    1 Liter Margarita Mix [Your Favorite]

Mix easily, pouring in 7-Up slowly so not to lose bubbles. Makes 1.2 gallons. For Cadillac margarita add 1/2 cup Grand Marnier.

Serving Ideas : Use salted glass with wedge of lime. Use store bought ice.

NOTES : Kosher or canning salt is fine for salting rim of glass.

This is for a party and makes 1.2 gallons. I use a plastic thin rectangle container with a spout I got from wal-mart. It fits well in the refrigerator. It keeps three to four weeks.

bj

Connoisseur
    A good friend of mine works a high end Southwestern restaurant in Boulder and there they serve a "Coin Style Margarita", this may be a common term but it was new to me. It was a top shelf blanco tequila, contrieau, and a healthy squeeze of fresh lime juice. 3 parts tequila to 1 part contrieau. No sugar. Served in a small highball glass partially rimmed with salt, a short straw and garnished by lime wedge. It was definately my favorite margarita. It really makes the tequila the star.

The way I drink a marg at home, which isn't technically a marg is, rocks glass full of good 100% agave blanco and ice and finished with the juice a half a lime.

Another marg I've made at home is a Mango Margarita. Two Mango's chopped and pureed in a blender. The juice of 1-3 limes (depending on taste), a quarter cup of superfine sugar (mixed with lime juice), 3/4 cup of good tequila, and a shot of Grand Marnier, puree all in a blender. Serve on crushed ice or toss some in the blender to make a frozen cocktail. Very good!

Upon reading many of these posts, it seems like there are a few fans of mixes out there. I for one can't drink them. A couple of years ago I started to buy limes, squeeze 'em and mix in superfine sugar or simple syrup to taste. It blows every mix I've ever had out of the water!!!! It's worth a try, but if you're in a hurry or making a very large amount, I would say the mix will do.
    Last edited by TimmyBoston; 08-22-2006 at 02:06.
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Guru
    1 1/2 oz. Hornitos Tequila
    3/4 oz. Triple Sec
    2 oz. Roses Lime Juice
    Ice
    Throw it all in a blender and reduce to a slush. Place in a salt rimmed marg. glass...........Delicious.
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"