Mike Veach and I started to go off on a tangent in the history forum, but I felt it was interesting enough to get something going here. He made mention of cooking with VOB 100, something I've yet to do, but would if the product were available to me here in California.

When cooking, I only use two bourbons; Booker's and Stagg. Which I use depends of course on the flavor profile I seek for the food. I use these high proof bourbons because I find their flavor always comes through in the finished product, particularly when the food is spicy. I haven't done a hell of alot of experimentation with various bourbon's in this regard, though I would imagine that most bourbons of 100+ proof would perform admirably.

The above being said however, I always use bourbons of 94- proof for marinades. Anything above that and I've found that the meat will tend to soak up the bourbon at a faster rate than it does the other marinade components, and I end up with something that tastes like bourbon rather than something that was flavored with bourbon.

Your thoughts/practices?