Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Connoisseur

Hypothetical question about 10 bourbons

This is a hypothetical question for now, but could turn into a taste test/article in a magazine depending on how it goes.

If I had to pick 10 bourbons of ANY value, but of decent availability to be tested and rated, what would be a good 10 bourbons to write an artcile with?

A few clarifications:

1) Limited quantity bourbons like Pappy 23 can be included.
    2) Something hirsch 16 can be included, but Hirsch 20 cannot since it's too difficult to find and get a sample from it.
    3) Price is of NO object. Distillers's Masterpiece, if deemed worthy, could be added. I don't know much about it except that it's expensive.
    4) We want upper echelon bourbons if such a category exists, but with some dynamic od range.

Thanks in advance to anyone that could help me with this,
    Evangelos

Guru

Re: Hypothetical question about 10 bourbons

I humbly submit the following list, in no particular order, on the condition you don't ask me to justify my choices.

1. Elijah Craig 18 y/o (the ultimate expression of the charred oak influence)

2. Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit (I would substitute the 12 y/o if it were still being marketed across the USA.)

3. Rock Hill Farms (defines "bourbon" to my taste; robust; touches all the bases)

4. Eagle Rare 17 y/o (compare it to fine cognac; it will hold its own)

5. Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 20 y/o (I still haven't opened my bottle of this one, but its breeding is impeccable.)

6. Elmer T. Lee (a spicy flavor like no other)

7. Virginia Gentleman 90 proof (perhaps not in anyone's top 10, but included here to provide additional "range", as you put it)

8. A.H. Hirsch 16 y/o (probably should be excluded because of diminishing availability, but provides "range" in a manner like no other)

9. George T. Stagg (choosing which release is problematic; I'd simply go with the latest release because of availability)

10. Old Forester Birthday Bourbon (see previous comment)

If the Hirsch were to be ruled out, I'd like to put in its place Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye 13 y/o. I know it's not bourbon, but it's a close cousin -- and IMO deserving of a place in any top 10 list of American whiskey.

Others I wish the list had room for include Baker's, Wathen's and Old Grand Dad BIB (which I prefer to the more expensive 114 proof version).

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Connoisseur

Great list Dave! I would exclude the Virginia Gentleman, the Hirsh 16 (sadly, but for the reason you state) and add 1792 Ridgement Reserve and Jefferson's Reserve.

Just my $.02

Ken

Connoisseur

Your justifications were great. I am definitely keeping the Hirsch Reserve 16 in there. Pappy 23 is probably a definite also. So, I guess I need 8 more. Maybe 2 as alternates just in case availability becomes an issue.

Connoisseur

Pappy 20 I mean, not the 23.

Guru

For the eight others, I would choose:
    Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit
    Wild Turkey Rare Breed
    Rock Hill Farms
    Elmer T. Lee
    Blanton's
    Booker's
    Eagle Rare 17
    Old Grand Dad 114

Tim

Guru

I won't presume to list 10 bourbons as the original premise asks, but I'd think that you'd want to run the entire gambit from top to bottom shelf so that you can cover the whole economic spectrum of the readers of your article. If I had a Jim Beam White pocketbook what good would it be for me to find out about Pappy 23? Let those less fortunate know that bourbon does NOT have to be expensive to be good.

Connoisseur

I won't presume to list 10 bourbons as the original premise asks, but I'd think that you'd want to run the entire gambit from top to bottom shelf so that you can cover the whole economic spectrum of the readers of your article. If I had a Jim Beam White pocketbook what good would it be for me to find out about Pappy 23? Let those less fortunate know that bourbon does NOT have to be expensive to be good.
    So you are suggesting AAA or VOB???

Ken

Connoisseur

I had a typo before, Pappy 23 will not be in the list, but I think Pappy 20 definitely will be in the article.

We do want to run the gambit, but we want to touch on "excellent" bourbons since we can only feature 10.

Novice

Hey folks... 1st post. I've been lurking for a while, thought I'd join in.

I've been assembling a similar but smaller tasting when a couple of good friends are visiting the last weekend of the month. In no particular order, what I've got so far is:

Jeffersons Reserve 15
    1792 Ridgemont Reserve
    Hirsch 16
    Pappy Van Winkle 15
    Buffaloe Trace

I'd like to add one or two more, but in my case, I've already pushed my budget, particularly with the Hirsch. Any recomendations to round out the field?